Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NY homeowner jailed for illegal handgun after shooting 2 home invaders

NY homeowner jailed for illegal handgun after shooting 2 home invaders

Poor guy probably bought the handgun legally a long time ago and failed to register it.

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2019/...olice-say.html

An Oneida County man shot and killed two would-be burglars with an illegally owned handgun Tuesday, according to New York State Police.

A State Police investigation “suggests” that Stolarczyk interrupted a burglary at about 2:40 p.m., police said. He shot the two suspects with an illegally owned gun.

Patricia Anne Talerico, of 901 John St., was pronounced dead at the scene.

Nicholas Talerico, of 110 Grove Place, was taken by private vehicle to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital and pronounced dead there.

Stolarczyk was taken to the Oneida County Jail and is awaiting centralized arraignment.
    #RESIST

It will be interesting to follow this case, to say the least. Hopefully, (true vs legal), justice will prevail.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It will be interesting to follow this case, to say the least. Hopefully, (true vs legal), justice will prevail.
    I agree.

Blues, what was the attitude of cops in NY towards civilians and guns when you worked there?

What about Florida LEOs)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I agree.

Blues, what was the attitude of cops in NY towards civilians and guns when you worked there?

What about Florida LEOs)
    I left NYC many moons ago, 1987, when personally owned handguns (outside of LE) were still a relative rarity. Most folks did not have 'em, by and large.
    I don't recall giving it much thought if there wasn't a gun pointing in my direction. I can't speak for NYPD though they don't have a reputation of being pro-handgun for the civilian population...or didn't when I was still up there.

In FL, everyone (it seemed) pretty much owned a handgun and you just conducted yourself accordingly. (I would think pretty much the way it is in TX.) Ownership of a firearm in FL was not looked upon with a jaundiced eye in my experience.

ETA: While we mostly worked within the confines of NYC, we did work elsewhere in the state, (and out of state), depending on where cases took us. Beyond that, I spent a lot of time in the upstate due to my participation in climbing, backpacking, canoeing, x-c skiing etc, so I am pretty familiar with the gun culture upstate, but not the regulations per se as they didn't apply to me personally, nor my cases for the most part.

In upstate NY many folks owned firearms for hunting and recreation, including handguns. (Transportation of weapons was often a big gotcha and one that tripped up many an otherwise law abiding citizen.)
    Last edited by blues; 05-29-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

It seems strange that the police would arrest someone for defending yourself in your own home, regardless of what the instrument used is.

I guess if it was a problem for people who live in NY they should probably start trying to correct that thru their legislature.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-29-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    It seems strange that the police would arrest someone for defending yourself in your own home, regardless of what the instrument used is.

I guess if it was a problem for people who live in NYC they should probably start trying to correct that thru their legislature.
    Google maps shows Oneida County to be upstate, east of Syracuse- so what people in NYC think about this is probably not very relevant.

It's only strange if you think it's strange that the police arrest people for not following a state's firearm possession laws. Whether you, I, or anyone else agrees with those laws is not relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Google maps shows Oneida County to be upstate, east of Syracuse- so what people in NYC think about this is probably not very relevant.
    Got it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Since NYC swings the rest of the state, what NYC thinks of this is very relevant. Much like Chicago / Illinois.

Would be nice if the reporting included what exactly was "illegal" about the homeowners possession of the gun. Quite a glaring hole in the reporting.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I guess if it was a problem for people who live in NY they should probably start trying to correct that thru their legislature.
    Just to be clear, he wasn't arrested for defending himself in his own home regardless of the instrument.

He was arrested for illegal possession of a firearm.

Two separate issues.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Would be nice if the reporting included what exactly was "illegal" about the homeowners possession of the gun. Quite a glaring hole in the reporting.
    Right.......he could've been a prohibited person, or it be a stolen gun that he copped to, or maybe it is as LL is speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Keep in mind this was way upstate, not in NYC.

Outside of a few urban areas, most of NY state is relatively sane with LEOs that openly opposed and even in some cases refused to enforce the SAFE Act. I can't remember which end of the scale Oneida leans towards. NYC and most of upstate NY is a "night and day" culture difference.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-29-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List