Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I need a new murse! RFI

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Take a look at the Tom Bihn Synapse 25.
    Propaganda blurb from their website: "The Synapse 25 is a carefully calculated, supremely organized backpack, designed for day hiking, everyday carry, and ultralight travel. Its graceful, curvilinear exterior may on first blush look like something akin to sculpture, but in truth it is simply the judicious realization of ultimate utility. No mesh pockets clutter the exterior of this bag, nor extraneous straps festoon it; in it, you'll be able to carry more than you would imagine, and no one will be the wiser."

It is a bag I've wanted for a while and someday I'll own one.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I picked one up and I like it a lot. If you're after a normal looking backpack that's really high quality this is a great way to go.

I got the email that this,https://www.military1st.com/tb-ucm-c...ive-green.html was back in stock from a conus shipping friendly vendor. I have ordered from here before and they ship from across the pond from the UK, at least that's where my last order came from. While trying to make up my mind on what bag to get, I started watching what the others at work were carrying. I guess because I am the "old" guy at the station and have not had to travel in a really long time I did not realize how bag centric we have become. When I was a traveling rookie we only had one set of gear to keep up with and a sleeping bag. Now days they travel with two sets of bunker gear, a set of wildland gear, gym bag, personal bag, bedding and food, all of this in some type of bag(s). My second observation was the bags consisted everything from the cloth grocery bags to 3 day assault packs that I'm pretty sure was claimed to be lost somewhere in Afghanistan. My last observation is that I am way late to the messenger/over the shoulder type bag. Most of these have looked "tactical" either due to the color or the amount of PALS and webbing on them. Out of all the messenger bags there have been 2 that were nondescript looking but one had the Glock logo patch on it. I'll let you know how my new bag checks out when it gets here.

It's here.

So the Royal Post has finally delivered my bag yesterday, all the way from sunny Manchester, England. The postmark said "air mail" and I'm fairly certain they sent it by dirigible and not a jet but in all, it was less than 2 weeks to get it here from across the pond. Now onward to the bag...

The bag has not been oversold and has some features that I over looked or were not advertised. One is the main carry strap is adjustable on both ends to keep the padded portion centered on my shoulder and has the ability to put some cant in the way the bag carries. The laptop/tablet sleeve is padded on both sides not just one like some other bags I looked at. I normally don't travel with one but may start due to this bag. It feels like they have used a couple different weights of Cordura in construction. The bottom is thicker than the flap and water bottle pocket. The sides and ends are double layered. Three pockets, front zippered, the main and the rear ccw pocket, have the ability to take the Velcro style pouches and organizers and now that I have the bag I can figure out the layout and determine what I need. Pics are forthcoming. I will do that when I get the organizers in and put it together.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    The bag has not been oversold and has some features that I over looked or were not advertised.
    Nice bag. Reasonable price.

Do you know the max dimensions (width and depth) of the padded laptop pocket? I only see overall dimensions on the website.

TIA.

ETA: Good review with lots of photos HERE, but no laptop compartment dimensions.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 07-16-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Nice bag. Reasonable price.

Do you know the max dimensions (width and depth) of the padded laptop pocket? I only see overall dimensions on the website.

TIA.

ETA: Good review with lots of photos HERE, but no laptop compartment dimensions.
    13.5"w x 10"deep.

I had to go back and look at published dimensions. When I got measuring the lap top pocket I thought they had sent me the large bag. The opening on the main bag measures 16.75" wide with the bag expanded to its 4" of thickness, I can get 17.5 pulled tight. The listed measurement is 14", I found this is the bottom of the bag giving it a slight taper overall. The height of 11" is to the front side, the back is a good inch taller.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Take a look at the Tom Bihn Synapse 25.
    Propaganda blurb from their website: "The Synapse 25 is a carefully calculated, supremely organized backpack, designed for day hiking, everyday carry, and ultralight travel. Its graceful, curvilinear exterior may on first blush look like something akin to sculpture, but in truth it is simply the judicious realization of ultimate utility. No mesh pockets clutter the exterior of this bag, nor extraneous straps festoon it; in it, you'll be able to carry more than you would imagine, and no one will be the wiser."

It is a bag I've wanted for a while and someday I'll own one.
    I looked into this and ended up buying one, preowned and in excellent condition.

More $$ than I’d thought I’d ever spend on a backpack. But after studying the design, engineering and materials, combined with its proven durability, versatility and carrying comfort, I’m sure I got my money’s worth.

User Tag List