Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I need a new murse! RFI

If you want low profile, this is the best I have used....plus it will stop AK rounds: https://www.armoredmobility.com/Prod...ored_Bags.aspx
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

One other that may be worth looking at are the Blackhawk Diversion line. They are very non-"blacktical" and being from Blackhawk they should be durable as can be. I was interested in them, but Vertx won me over with their revisions to their original designs.

Leica Store Miami dot com is a dealer for Oberwerth bags, hand-made in Germany, and a bag designed by US photographer/artist Adam Marelli, that is made in the UK by Chapman. Several of the Oberwerth bags, and the Chapman/Marelli, look perfectly masculine, and if one travels, do not ID one as being from the USA. These are suitable for toting while wearing really nice clothing.

B&H Photo/Video, in NYC, had, and may still have, some Oberwerth bags, relatively recently, at what appeared to be clearance pricing.

For European readers, Leica Store Nuremburg is an Oberwerth dealer, with some special editions made specifically for them. They will ship to the USA; I recently ordered a small pouch from them, and delivery across The Pond was quick.

An interesting feature of several of the Oberwerth bags is a cut-resistant layer inside the shoulder strap. This could be desirable if a thief tries to cut the strap, but no so good if one gets caught in a subway or elevator door.

I have the Chapman/Marelli bag, in black, the only color offered by Leica Store Miami. I believe that an olive-fabric, brown-leather-trim version may still be available directly from Adam Marelli, and, for European customers, directly from Chapman.

My wife loves her two Oberwerth bags. One is a Kate, the only women-specific design, and the Bayreuth, which looks to be non-gender-specific.

I have an Oberwerth Heidelberg, which I am keeping new-in-box, until I decide whether to keep it or gift it. I got it at a clearance price, from a camera seller, which has, by now, sold them all. (My wife’s Oberwerth bags came from this same seller.)

Billingham, in the UK, but with USA dealers, is another source for very-high-quality bags that look neither tactical nor American, and are perceived as either masculine or neutral.

Think Tank sells a wide variety of thoughtfully-designed photographer-oriented bags, which are made in Vietnam, but, to be clear, made to a very high standard. Black and blue nylon fabrics are the normal material, but there are some bags made specifically to look very neutral-purpose, of other materials.
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-11-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Yall have tossed out so may options I had to make a list and pro/con it and I have it knocked down to four possibilities. I also had a conversation with a LEO friend, lets call him sarge, that help me narrow the field. In our discussion I asked sarge what he thought if he saw someone like me with a murse walk into a restaurant. His reply was to holler out to the other guys in the office "hey, what do we say about middle aged guys with a murse?" The echoes back were "gun" and "always a gun". He went on to explain that there were exceptions like hipsters and businessmen and locations like the gym. He did go on to say that even if a bag is not tactical looking it doesn't mean they don't suspect a weapon. We discussed other nuances of carrying a murse like how anybody in the firearms community would/could suspect it to hold a gun and how it could be a target of theft. He carries a Maxpedition Versipack in blue and said it is unlikely to actually have a gun it most of the time, but on occasion it might when he did not want to or could not conceal on his person.

Going over these bags I found that I could do a rigid mole panel and pouches for organizational needs and the only time I intend to have a pistol in it is to work and maybe back home lets me have the option of not having a gun compartment. At the top of my list is these two, https://fishpondusa.com/lodgepole-fishing-satchel and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tag=ratio07-20. Still on the radar is the Vertex EDC and I sill haven completely ruled out a Versipack. I am not in a great big rush to upgrade so I will have the time to see if I can get hands on with these.

A big thank you to all, FES

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    Yall have tossed out so may options I had to make a list and pro/con it and I have it knocked down to four possibilities. I also had a conversation with a LEO friend, lets call him sarge, that help me narrow the field. In our discussion I asked sarge what he thought if he saw someone like me with a murse walk into a restaurant. His reply was to holler out to the other guys in the office "hey, what do we say about middle aged guys with a murse?" The echoes back were "gun" and "always a gun". He went on to explain that there were exceptions like hipsters and businessmen and locations like the gym. He did go on to say that even if a bag is not tactical looking it doesn't mean they don't suspect a weapon. We discussed other nuances of carrying a murse like how anybody in the firearms community would/could suspect it to hold a gun and how it could be a target of theft.
    Around here, other than briefcases or business cases associated with attending a business meeting/conference or sales call, and outside of luggage/bags associated with traveling/hiking/sightseeing, I absolutely NEVER see males carrying bags unless they are hipsters or school age. A guy carrying a 'murse' on a regular basis would stick out like a sore thumb and would draw attention.
    Last edited by ubervic; 06-11-2019 at 11:33 AM.

That is why you want it to look like a computer bag.....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    That is why you want it to look like a computer bag.....
    Yes, computer bag, or, serious camera bag, most of which, depending upon size, have a laptop or tablet sleeve. A serious-looking, but compact camera slung cross-body can help complete the image.
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-11-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Anyone ever order anything from Poland? Going down the rabbit hole researching these options that have been tossed out here, I found this https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_usd/t...m-cordura.html This looks like a very good bag but the only draw back is that the company is located in Poland. There are just a few products from there on amazon, just not the one that I want. If I do decide to order from over there, I think I will get a prepaid Visa card for the transaction. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    Anyone ever order anything from Poland? Going down the rabbit hole researching these options that have been tossed out here, I found this https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_usd/t...m-cordura.html This looks like a very good bag but the only draw back is that the company is located in Poland. There are just a few products from there on amazon, just not the one that I want. If I do decide to order from over there, I think I will get a prepaid Visa card for the transaction. Any thoughts?
    No, but I ordered a leather shotgun butt cuff off of Etsy, panicked when I realized it was from Ukraine, and had it within a week. YMMV.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Rocking a LEAF bag. Love it so far, needs a internal organizer and a buckle replacement to those magnetic ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

User Tag List