Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shorter 92 FS Compact?

In order to make the 92 Compact shorter, you would have to change the locking block system completely. The P5 uses a very different falling block system over the 92.

The 92 Compact uses the same locking block as its full size 92 big brother. Almost all the parts on the compact interchange with the full-size.

Making the 92 Compact a single stake would not make the gun much thinner as the slide has to stay the same width to accommodate the full size locking bock and safety levers. Also, the grip can only get so thin, as it covers the trigger bar system that is part of the way the gun works. It would take a complete redesign of the gun to make it a truly thinner gun than the 92 Compact already is now. It would be silly for Beretta to spend that money for a complete redesign of that gun. They would be better served to start from scratch and build a new gun that really answers the mail for everyone.

If you have a 92 Compact Type M, you already know that it is not that much thinner than a 92 Compact.

And for those of you that have read this far, yes, the new 15 round compact MecGar magazine is totally my fault. It was a must have for an upcoming project.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Also, the DA trigger on my 92C is terrible, stock. Very pronounced "hitch" that's tough to mitigate. Obviously this can be corrected, but I find it impossible to keep the muzzle from jumping when the hammer falls in DA. It's probably fine for hitting a person-sized target. But I can produce decent groups in DA with Sigs and Smith 3rd gens.
    The trigger and geometry on the 92C is exactly the same as on the full sized - odd. The "jump" you describe is fairly common for me as well due to the trigger over-travel after sear release - that has been mitigated partially with a good support hand grip and completely by going to a Langdon Trigger/Wilson Trigger Bar. I think some people have also built up a "bump" behind the trigger to deal with the over-travel. Also going to a D spring helps as you aren't torquing your trigger finger as hard. I also suspect that the bobbed grip on the 92C makes it harder to get as firm of a support hand grip making the a smooth DA pull more of an issue. Unless you are intending to use 9mm ammo that has been sitting in storage for 100 years and was made using primers made out of titanium - there really is no reason not to replace the main hammer spring with a "D" spring or less - it will drastically improve your DA trigger pull for about $4 and 10 minutes of your time.

My 92C has become my primary SD gun I like it so much. For carry use I use the Compact magazines but for range and home defense use I have gone to using full size 92 magazines with the X-Grip magazine adapters
    as they give me my extra rounds as well as allow me to get a better grip on the pistol.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 05-28-2019 at 12:37 PM.

The P5C also utilized a different method of anchoring the mainspring strut (embedding it in a polymer filler piece), one that was much more potentially problematic than the steel hanger anchored to the frame used on the P5.

I believe that Todd Green discussed that a significant portion of the 92 Compact L Type M's grip was due to the corporate Beretta decision to use the unnecessarily thick grips for that model.

I think that there might be merit in reassessing the Compact L Type M; some judicious frame and slide beveling to eliminate sharp edges and a set of LTT ultra thin G10 grips, coupled with Wilson Combat/Langdon components and tuning could make it an extremely relevant and desirable compact. And yeah, since it's me, I'd like to see it with a D version option.

Best, Jon

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    In order to make the 92 Compact shorter, you would have to change the locking block system completely. The P5 uses a very different falling block system over the 92.

The 92 Compact uses the same locking block as its full size 92 big brother. Almost all the parts on the compact interchange with the full-size.

Making the 92 Compact a single stake would not make the gun much thinner as the slide has to stay the same width to accommodate the full size locking bock and safety levers. Also, the grip can only get so thin, as it covers the trigger bar system that is part of the way the gun works. It would take a complete redesign of the gun to make it a truly thinner gun than the 92 Compact already is now. It would be silly for Beretta to spend that money for a complete redesign of that gun. They would be better served to start from scratch and build a new gun that really answers the mail for everyone.

If you have a 92 Compact Type M, you already know that it is not that much thinner than a 92 Compact.

And for those of you that have read this far, yes, the new 15 round compact MecGar magazine is totally my fault. It was a must have for an upcoming project.
    I hope it's what I think it iss

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    The 92 compact is one of my favorite handguns. Nothing fits my hands like that grip. Shoots POA every time (in SA, anyway). Alas, I just don't carry it much IWB because it's so thick. Length is fine, grip isn't too long, per se... but I just don't see the 92/P38 platform ever having a slender slide, given the way the wings of the locking block engage the slide.

Also, the DA trigger on my 92C is terrible, stock. Very pronounced "hitch" that's tough to mitigate. Obviously this can be corrected, but I find it impossible to keep the muzzle from jumping when the hammer falls in DA. It's probably fine for hitting a person-sized target. But I can produce decent groups in DA with Sigs and Smith 3rd gens.
    Would a D spring or 14# spring help?

I am actually looking at getting one of these, got a line on this brand new in box for $455 after tax. Are they short finger friendly in DA or is that a point of contention?

Site Supporter
    Could a reliable and durable thin 92 style pistol not be made?

I mean there is the 3913, and the Bersa .380 (yes I know).

Maybe there is just no market it for it, but I for one would like it.

Yeah, nice littlle IWB 9mm sized 84!! Perfect, but not blowback!

Site Supporter
    I have a Wilson combat mainspring in my 92c... I can't remember exactly what the poundage is. But I remember picking it based on the fact it was about the same weight as the D spring. And yes--I think I big part of the challenge with 92 is over travel. But still... I feel that catch before the hammer falls... and when it does, the sights jostle. I'm sure Ernest's trigger job in a bag could clean it up. But again, I just don't see myself packing a 92C as readily as a P239-sized gun (which has a nice DA pull). Also finding my BHP to be very comfortable IWB, given the slim profile. Would prefer DA/SA, I guess... but I'm getting more comfortable with C&L. Even bought a 9mm 1911.

Interesting on the mechanics of the Beretta vs. Walther. The Walther locking block looks a lot bigger and beefier (though I've never actually owned a P38/P5). Looks like the tabs kinda hook upward into the slide, whereas the Beretta's tabs stick out to either side. Not sure what that means, mechanically--just an observation.

All that said... I'd love to have an all metal, single stack DA/SA Beretta with a slim profile... whether it had a 92 lineage or not.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Yeah, nice littlle IWB 9mm sized 84!! Perfect, but not blowback!
    With the correct style (92) decocker or safety.

User Tag List