Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W Training Ammo?

Site Supporter

.40 S&W Training Ammo?

I have a class coming up at the end of June and am thinking of running my M&P40. I'm looking for training ammo. It needs to be 180-grain, reliable, relatively cheap and brass-cased. I was thinking of this stuff, but I'm open to suggestions. Recommendations?
    Last edited by revchuck38; 05-27-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    I saw it used at an agency qual a few years back with no issues.
    Speer Lawman in 180 is also GTG.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 05-27-2019 at 07:12 PM.

We've used a lot of 180 grain Winchester ball. That seems like a good price too. We used to use Speer Lawman until we had to change vendors.

Site Supporter
    I usually use Speer Lawman 180, I prefer the TMJ design, but got a couple of cases of Blazer Brass 180 on a closeout sale. No issues with the Blazer Brass.

ETA: I've used both in my M&P40 FS v1.0 with no issues.
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 05-27-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    RevChuck,

That’s the exact stuff I used this past week from SGAmmo.

It seemed to work fine. I flung enough of it downrange in 4 hours to give it a good workout!

Site Supporter
    I've shot this before as plinker ammo and had no problems. Despite the nice box, the Z in the number indicates less than first quality. My batch showed variation in primer appearance. I forgot the full explanation for the Z. Perhaps another can educate us. It matters not unless the uninformed were to buy Z numbered ammo as first quality defense ammo.

I'm sure it's probably fine, the only .40 I buy these days is 180 grain American Eagle FMJ from Lucky Gunner. I get the 200 round packs because I don't shoot a whole lot of .40, and a pair of those seems to last me for a hot second.
    Last edited by jetfire; 05-28-2019 at 10:10 AM.

180 grain training ammo in .40

In Glocks and Sigs, the Speer TMJ 53652 has given excellent results accuracy wise. My HK pistols seem to prefer Sellier & Bellot SB40B 180 FMJ. American Eagle AE40R100 was runner up in my HKs.
    Last edited by LtDave; 05-29-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    In Glocks and Sigs, the Speer TMJ 53652 has given excellent results accuracy wise. My HK pistols seem to prefer Sellier & Bellot SB40B 180 FMJ. American Eagle AE40R100 was runner up in my HKs.
    Concur with the Sellier & Bellot 180gr performing very nicely in .40 HKs (specifically, in my case, VP40 and P30L). Accurate, clean and not downloaded is my experience. My choice for IDPA and practice.

It's also done very nicely in my Gen4 Glock G22 and FN Mk III .40 High Power.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Concur with the S&B in my G35 and HK USP40.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Concur with the Sellier & Bellot 180gr performing very nicely in .40 HKs (specifically, in my case, VP40 and P30L). Accurate, clean and not downloaded is my experience. My choice for IDPA and practice.

It's also done very nicely in my Gen4 Glock G22 and FN Mk III .40 High Power.

Best, Jon
    Jon, you just HAD TO throw that MKIII HP 40 S&W in there didn't ya!!?!?!?
    Johnny Walker

User Tag List