Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mixing Drinks When You Have No Clue (Not a primer)

I caught myself just pouring the olive brine out of the olive jar into my vodka and then I found this. Miraculous when mixed with ice cold vodka! What will they invent next?!
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post

Excellent choice. I love a good Dark and Stormy. If you are in the deep south, try and find Blenheim's Ginger Ale to mix.

Yeah, I'm letting someone else make a Zombie. Painkiller's I'll make. One of the few drinks that I actually think should be served frozen.

Blenheim's used to be everywhere around here, now I know of one small country market that carries it, and they are unsure how long they will be able to carry it. Not my first choice with some rum, but it's amazing with Gosling's 151.

Q ginger beer and Plantation rum is my goto.

I have been assembling rum and test firing this year's birthday Zombie receipe:

1 oz Wray and Nephews overproof white rum
    1oz J.Wray gold rum
    1oz Gosling's Black Seal
    1/2 oz Gosling's 151
    1oz Pineapple Juice
    1oz Guava Nectar (not Jumex, it's got sucralose)
    Approximately 1/2 oz of fresh lime juice, or juice of half a lime (really to taste, limes vary and too much wipes out the rum flavor)
    Appoximately 1/3 oz homemade grenadine (to taste, I make mine by dissolving 2 cups sugar in 12 oz of pomegranate juice, then adding 6 or so dashes of orange extract)
    2-3 dashes of Angustura bitters

Shake the all the ingredients, aside from the 151 and the bitters, with ice. Strain over ice in a large glass. Float 151 on top and add bitters. Savor the numbness. Takes away the pain of the 1000 or so rounds I typically shoot on my birthday well.

"Zombie Headshot"
    Mix 1 oz Wray and Nephews, 1 oz J.Wray and add ice. Guava nectar to taste. Top with Angustura.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I caught myself just pouring the olive brine out of the olive jar into my vodka and then I found this. Miraculous when mixed with ice cold vodka! What will they invent next?!
    You poor man, you mean you have not been drinking dirty Martinis these many years?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Blenheim's used to be everywhere around here, now I know of one small country market that carries it, and they are unsure how long they will be able to carry it. Not my first choice with some rum, but it's amazing with Gosling's 151.

Q ginger beer and Plantation rum is my goto.

I have been assembling rum and test firing this year's birthday Zombie receipe:

1 oz Wray and Nephews overproof white rum
    1oz J.Wray gold rum
    1oz Gosling's Black Seal
    1/2 oz Gosling's 151
    1oz Pineapple Juice
    1oz Guava Nectar (not Jumex, it's got sucralose)
    Approximately 1/2 oz of fresh lime juice, or juice of half a lime (really to taste, limes vary and too much wipes out the rum flavor)
    Appoximately 1/3 oz homemade grenadine (to taste, I make mine by dissolving 2 cups sugar in 12 oz of pomegranate juice, then adding 6 or so dashes of orange extract)
    2-3 dashes of Angustura bitters

Shake the all the ingredients, aside from the 151 and the bitters, with ice. Strain over ice in a large glass. Float 151 on top and add bitters. Savor the numbness. Takes away the pain of the 1000 or so rounds I typically shoot on my birthday well.

"Zombie Headshot"
    Mix 1 oz Wray and Nephews, 1 oz J.Wray and add ice. Guava nectar to taste. Top with Angustura.
    Somehow I forgot the shot of apricot brandy in the Zombie receipe. Essential, but I'm still looking for something classier than Mr. Boston! Anyone got any ideas?

Further experimentation has convinced me that Naked Turtle is better than the Wray and Nephew for the white rum in the Zombie.

Pomegranate Daiquiri :
    1oz. J.Wray gold
    1oz. Naked Turtle
    1/2oz. lime juice
    1/2 oz homemade grenadine, or to taste

Shake all ingredients with ice. Strain into a chilled martini glass. My wife and stepdaughter call it delicious. I am happy with it.

Experimetation is also convincing me that Wray and Nephew overproof beats any gin with lime and tonic. But I just love Wray and Nephew.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I think this just might be a question the junior congresswoman from New York is qualified to answer.

Site Supporter
    Somehow I forgot the shot of apricot brandy in the Zombie receipe. Essential, but I'm still looking for something classier than Mr. Boston! Anyone got any ideas?
    I use Rothman and Winter Orchard. Mostly in Pendennis Club Cocktails. I like it. Nice Apricot flavor without tasting of chemicals.

Obligatory recipe

Pendennis Club Cocktail (adapted from Death & Co.)

2 oz Gin
    3/4 oz Pendennis Mix*
    3/4 oz Lime Juice
    2 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters

Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a coupe. Garnish with a lime wedge.

*To make Pendennis mix, combine 1oz simple syrup, 1/2 oz of apricot liqueur, and 1 teaspoon of peach liqueur.

I use Rothman and Winter Orchard. Mostly in Pendennis Club Cocktails. I like it. Nice Apricot flavor without tasting of chemicals.

Obligatory recipe

Pendennis Club Cocktail (adapted from Death & Co.)

2 oz Gin
    3/4 oz Pendennis Mix*
    3/4 oz Lime Juice
    2 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters

Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a coupe. Garnish with a lime wedge.

*To make Pendennis mix, combine 1oz simple syrup, 1/2 oz of apricot liqueur, and 1 teaspoon of peach liqueur.
    I will look out for those brands. I am tempted to pick up some peach liqueur to try out that receipe. I need a drink to use up my Peychauds's. And I need to make simple syrup-- although I normally make mine double strength and invert it by adding a bit of lemon juice, so I imagine a half teaspoon would do it.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    I know a lot of you are whiskey drinkers and old men, so here’s a classic old man whiskey cocktail I was finally able to try at home the other day because a friend gifted me a bottle of Drambuie (a scotch/honey liquour):

2 oz blended whiskey (I used Cutty Sark, which is my go to for whiskey cocktails)

0.5 oz Drambuie

A dash of bitters

Pour over ice in a short tumbler, stir to combine. Delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    I will look out for those brands. I am tempted to pick up some peach liqueur to try out that receipe. I need a drink to use up my Peychauds's. And I need to make simple syrup-- although I normally make mine double strength and invert it by adding a bit of lemon juice, so I imagine a half teaspoon would do it.

Because of the alcohol you add to the simple, it'll last a long time. I just premix a small batch. But let me check those ratios, I think it is more simple to the alcohol.

I keep rich simple and regular simple in the house. It's so easy to make, and different drinks like different dilutions.

Site Supporter
    Because of the alcohol you add to the simple, it'll last a long time. I just premix a small batch. But let me check those ratios, I think it is more simple to the alcohol.

I keep rich simple and regular simple in the house. It's so easy to make, and different drinks like different dilutions.
    Ratios are correct. I mix 4-6 oz at a time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

User Tag List