Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you comfortable with a custom barrel and comp in your EDC Glock?

Are you comfortable with a custom barrel and comp in your EDC Glock?

Just curious. I know a lot of people have comps on their range guns, but who actually has one in their standard carry rotation?

Additional questions if you do carry one:
    What gun model, barrel and comp combo do you carry?
    Did you have to do any spring changes to make things work?
    Have you tried any combos that you would absolutely not recommend?

Glock 19.4 w/ KKM barrel and comp- I use the factory recoil springs, and I stay away from weak 115 grain ammo. I haven’t had any malfs that I would attribute to the barrel/comp/spring setup. I like shooting WWB whitebox NATO.
    Last edited by Bergeron; 05-27-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I carried a Roland Special for a while (KKM Comp and Barrel with a RMR slide on a 19.4).

Make sure you vet it with your carry ammunition; in my experience compensated guns simply run better with hotter ammunition, so I standardized around +P Gold Dots for carry. For range sessions I found more anemic loads would prove problematic, so gravitated towards warmer NATO spec practice ammunition. I did not mess with recoil springs.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I carry a "Roland Special" Glock 19 Gen 3 w/KKM Barrel & Comp

I use the factory spring and have never had any issues with any ammo when clean. When it gets dirty it can jam with weaker ammo, and for some reason PMags don't want to work in it.

Cleaning the comp is a huge pain in the ass however.
    Last edited by Xhado; 05-27-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Great thread, I've been wondering about buying a custom barrel + comp.

If I could piggyback on OP's thread and add two more questions:

If you carry AIWB:
    What holster are you using, and
    Does the extra length require an adjustment in where you position the holster?
    Last edited by Jay585; 05-27-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Been running a Gen4 G26 with KKM barrel and comp (and apex extractor and white sound defense EDP - cause I’m a nerd) for a couple of years. Traded out to a 14 (?) pound recoil spring and that has cycled fine with everything from weak 115 stuff through 124 grain HSTs. Planning to do a G45 with KKM set up and cutting the grip to either 19 or 26 length - maybe with an Acro on top.

ETA: been running a JMCK 2.5 wing claw in G34 length for a few months now. Sometimes it digs at me, but mostly it is good to go. Got the 34 length in anticipation of the comped 45.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 05-27-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Just curious. I know a lot of people have comps on their range guns, but who actually has one in their standard carry rotation?

Additional questions if you do carry one:
    What gun model, barrel and comp combo do you carry?
    Did you have to do any spring changes to make things work?
    Have you tried any combos that you would absolutely not recommend?
    Mission drives the gear train. A better question is why do YOU want a comp on your carry ?

Traditionally carry comps were to mitigate recoil on small / light 45 cap guns. On the Roland Special, the comp helped keep the gun flat when running an RMR.

The RS Special was also run on NATO/+p spec training ammo. If it is carry gun you carry it with +p duty loads and train with NATO spec ammo. If you are messing with springs to shoot cheap 115 grain ammo it is now a range gun, not a carry gun.

If Glock ever releases a 23x it might be a great host for a dog and a comp.

I have no issues at all running a KKM comp on an RDS equipped G19 w/stock springs, firing 147 gr HST duty ammo and 147 gr AE9FP (124+P GD and HST also works fine), as I have previously discussed: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....KM-compensator
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I carried a Gen3 G17 with a Wilson barrel for a couple of years. I fitted the barrel myself, so I did a 2k round challenge before I started carrying it. No problems with it, and I'd do it again. Wilson barrels have a 1:16 twist so they didn't shoot as well as OEM barrels with heavier bullets. Gen4 guns were just as accurate with more loads, so I switched to them when they came out. I wanted a carry gun that I could replace easily, quickly, and cheaply if needed.

No experience with comps.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

One of my favorite carry Glocks is my G27 with a 357 SIG barrel. I am quite satisfied with it's performance.

User Tag List