Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: On-demand skill

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    No matter how good you are, there is a small factor you just can’t control. You can do everything right and still not win the day. Not talking about match performance.

I think it’s hard to put a number on it, but I’d be more than happy delivering 95 % consistently, rain or shine, regardless of environmental conditions.
    So would NFL kickers, looking at their point after stats. Considering they are the best at what they do, I bet 75 percent is a more realistic goal for what you describe.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think each shooter has an envelope of technical skill - from that which is most within their capability and most approaches 100% reliable execution for that shooter, to what they can reach out and touch when stretching their capability and is the least repeatable thing they can do.

I have always found that latter type of challenge fascinating. I always like to go for it if appropriate, and have accumulated some amazing shots that way (in shooting and other things too.) I could not properly characterize any likelihood of success with those types of shots. But my subjective impression is that I make a lot of those crazy shots wher you have one naturally-occurring chance.

I personally have never really felt that there is such a thing as a 100% guaranteed shot. I mean other than something as easy as "shoot this wall."
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I was surprised when Ben Stoeger said on a podcast that he hit his grip about 90% of the time in practice and 80% of the time in a match, if I am remembering that correctly. He's well known as a super consistent shooter.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    So would NFL kickers, looking at their point after stats. Considering they are the best at what they do, I bet 75 percent is a more realistic goal for what you describe.
    No doubt, that’s why I’d be happy to hit 95%

I was lucky enough to train with some of the most talented, well trained combat shooters in the world in my last position. They held firm that performing at 50% of "range" capability on the "two way rifle range" was all any of them could ever hope to achieve - and these are guys who shoot THOUSANDS of rounds every month, in the most demanding training environments you could ever imagine. So, that has always been my goal - to get myself to the point where I'm shooting at 50% of perfect range performance when I'm moving, target's moving, I'm injured, it's wet, cold, dark, hot, too bright, whatever. All the "X shots to a Y size target in Z seconds" is just a measure to see if you're getting there - not an end in and of itself...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    NFL kickers should be at the top of food chain in terms of on demand performance, but there is a lot more variability in their 2018 performance than I would have expected.

Attachment 38497
    If you look at the numbers out to 39 yards they are close to identical: 100% or right under. Beyond that there are too many variables per team for that chart to be very useful. A kicker playing half his games under a roof on turf is going to have it easier at 40+ than a kicker in an outdoor northern stadium with grass. And a coach who is confident in his defense may be more likely to try field goals in bad conditions than a coach with a shitty D who is more likely to punt. And so on.

That being said, there have been a handful of kickers who were flat out automatic for years. The Stoegers of football.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    An on-demand skill is one that satisfactorily concludes before the "demand" is obvious.
    You should talk more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I was surprised when Ben Stoeger said on a podcast that he hit his grip about 90% of the time in practice and 80% of the time in a match, if I am remembering that correctly. He's well known as a super consistent shooter.
    Very interesting. Only tangentially related but re sinking the grip; shooting so much 1911 mixed with standard frame Glocks from the holster these last couple of years I was really struck by the difference in the two platforms if you bork a grip. With the heavier steel pistol and a lighter trigger I think there is noticeably more "forgiveness" than the same with the lighter polymer framed gun and a more challenging trigger. Like still hitting alphas or close C's vs bad C's a long ways out of the A.

Ben shoots a heavy gun IIRC and one probably with a competition optimized SA trigger.
    Last edited by JHC; 05-28-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Very interesting. Only tangentially related but re sinking the grip; shooting so much 1911 mixed with standard frame Glocks from the holster these last couple of years I was really struck by the difference in the two platforms if you bork a grip. With the heavier steel pistol and a lighter trigger I think there is noticeably more "forgiveness" that the same with the lighter polymer framed gun and a more challenging trigger. Like still hitting alphas or close C's vs bad C's a long ways out of the A.

Ben shoots a heavy gun IIRC and one probably with a competition optimized SA trigger.
    I found this to be 100% true in my Beretta shooting.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

It doesn’t take that much time to fix a bad grip freestyle.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List