Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On-demand skill

On-demand skill

So what is your definition of on demand skill?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

On demand skill is turning out to be something that is harder to define than I originally thought, especially after the replies to @ASH556’s recent thread. That thread gave me a few things to think about. On demand performance definitely needs to be measured cold. It’s not something you can deliver after having run a drill a few times to warm up. My goal for skill development training and practice is to close the gap between what I can deliver cold and what I can deliver warmed up.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

It’s what I can do without warmup. The first drill of the day.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My thoughts mostly come from a competition standpoint.

When you approach a stage, can you do whatever is needed to complete the stage with confidence that you will perform up to your usual standards.

One of our local monthly pistol matches always has a weak hand stage. We have all learned to shoot well weak hand and now when we go somewhere with weak hand we can perform this skill on demand.

I would add, with consistent repeatability and predictability.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I have a 6” steel tree that I use as much as I can, so I’m pretty sure I can drive to class, hop out of the truck, walk up to the line and hit a 6” plate at 10 yards. That’s “on demand” - something you can do at any time, and repeat as necessary, with no warmup.

Now if you say, ok hit that same 6” plate at 25 yards, I can’t promise I can do it every time (or even more often than not). So, that’s *not* on demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say you must be able to repeatedly do something cold, what percentage successful are we talking about?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Some of us keep our prescriptions in an upper kitchen cabinet. Occasionally the removal of one bottle unintentionally slides another bottle off the shelf. In my mind, an example of an on-demand skill, in it's most useful iteration, is the catching of the second bottle in the act of dropping. It happens without conscious thought, with only the most minimal effort, and has no effect on one's composure.

Basically, if the stimulus is not both (a) unexpected and (b) kinetic there is time to mentally prepare. Stress cannot help but be reduced, sometimes to a non-event. That's not the same as performing well before the need reaches full consciousness, but it's also not terribly rare. Some of the very excellent dove shooters regularly do that ("Yes, Winston, I suspect there are birds somewhere in this field, but neither of us knows where or when they will present themselves.")

An on-demand skill is one that satisfactorily concludes before the "demand" is obvious.

When you say you must be able to repeatedly do something cold, what percentage successful are we talking about?
    Good questions. Here are my thoughts:

On demand skill: performance during the event you are training for.

This could be a USPSA stage or classifier, a self-defense situation, an encounter with dangerous wildlife...

On demand skill level may be hard to measure because we (hopefully) don't have to use it in self-defense often or ever. I like competitive shooting because of the requirement to do very difficult shooting challenges under pressure. At a major match, the pressure can be significant. As well, consistency is a big part of skill, so I like your second question. Some competitive shooters have high maximum skill levels (sometimes very fast and accurate), but fail often. Others are very consistent but extremely slow. Match performance is an excellent way to learn what to work on to improve your "on demand skill".

The required combination of accuracy, speed, consistency, and other factors would depend on the situation you are training for.

Frequency of success: this depends on the event. The goal for on-demand skill is subconscious mastery of that skill.

I would propose a 95% success rate as a good starting point for thinking about consistency. However, I can also recall when I was seriously into shooting precision tactical matches, and the chance of success was often quite low even with top on-demand skills and subconscious mastery. In this case, part of the skill is knowing the difficulty and being able to subconsciously estimate the chance of a hit.

Anyway, great topic. I'm looking forward to the discussion.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-27-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I think @Clusterfrack nailed it. For the prior 6 weeks my on demand skill needed to be above that of my opponent for the pins bracket. I took it a step further and wanted it above the fastest shooter, as well. I was successfull about 95% of the time. I demanded something of my skill, and was able to achieve it. Other instances of on demand could be making shots on moving critters or varmints. No warm up or walk through on those. Part of that on demand skill is understanding what is required to win, and being able to do it. Looking at a COF and having a pretty solid idea of how long it will take.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List