Thread: absolute beginner

absolute beginner

I have fired about 500 rounds through a S&W 357 revolver and want purchase a semi. I have read enough threads on here to know that the Sigs and Glocks I pine over are not the high end guns I thought they were (simply according to price). I am looking to learn more, carry, and would like to explore more as a shooter. I favor 9mm and 40 cals, but could be talked into something else I suppose. I am taking a one on one personal defense class with a former marine and retired cop who swears by Sigs. I want to hear opinions about my first purchase. I am leaning to the previous mentioned Glocks or Sigs and want to spend less than a grand. thanks gents.

Making this decision is largely based on personal preferences and what you are comfortable with. SIG-Sauer and GLOCK both make excellent pistols, as do other companies. The most similar pistol I own to a SIG would be my Beretta 92FS. I like it because it is a tough work horse that will eat anything, but it has taken a spot on the night stand instead of on my hip because it is a bit on the heavy and bulky side. It may not bother you, it doesn't bother me that much, but be aware of it. The Glock 19 Gen3 has replaced my Beretta for carry not so much due to the Beretta being uncomfortable, it's just that the Glock is more comfortable.

I like both pistols because they are common. I like common things. I like it when I can got o the gun show and gen new milsurp magazines for the Beretta for $12, and can order Glock factory mags for $20-$25. It's nice that we have a drawer of Glock parts at work. I'd keep that in mind whatever it is you decide on. Spending $80 on a spare magazine is about as unpleasant as it gets. (If you ever wondered why I am very careful with H&K P7 magazines, that's why.)

I like 9mm because it is cheap. Finding ammo all over the internet for less than $10 a box is awesome. Take the price of ammunition into consideration. If you intend to shoot competition like IDPA, take into consideration that a bigger hole doesn't get you a faster time, but having quicker follow up shots does.

I'll not say any more, for fear I'll get too specific and sway you in anything more than generalities. I have tried about every handgun that has been manufactured in the past century. Some things that I don't like, it took me months to figure out that I didn't like them. Keep your mind open, don't narrow down your options too early, and try to shoot as many pistols as possible. Don't be afraid to admit you chose poorly and start over, I've done it a few times. I think most folks who really run their equipment through the paces have.

Good luck.

lamar, I thought you were under 21.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

If you are looking to spend about a thousand $...

Glock NIB - most prices I've seen on the net are $500 for Gen 3, can be had used for less
    Quality aftermarket sights for the Glock ~ $100-150
    That leaves $350-400 for ammo, mags, holsters, and most importantly, training.

Sig NIB will run $2-300 more for the gun unless you are looking at p250, which from what I have seen does not have the reputation for high quality of the p226 or p229. Sights, ammo, holsters and training will run about the same.

No matter what you choose, SHOOT BEFORE YOU BUY. Many ranges will rent a gun, or several guns, at fairly low prices in the hope you will buy from them.

User Tag List