Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911s?

1911s?

Without spending over $2,000 what are the best 1911's for high volume, accurate and reliable shooting?

Which ones can make it through shooting classes?
    _________In celebration of Ramadan, I'll be eating Pork all month. You're Welcome._______________________

Is this in response to a perceived need, or simple curiosity?

This will be a hot topic. I'm not a 1911 plumber or any kind of expert on them. I have owned 10 of them since '81 but only own one now.

Only two of them were premium guns however they all ran very well. But the two nicest were a Springfield Armory TRP and my current sole 1911 a custom gun made by Dave Sams. The $1400 TRP was nearly the peer of the custom gun which I am told (by the pistol training living legend I bought it from) was a $3500 build originally. The custom gun is just a skosh more accurate but much much tighter. The TRP never malf'd once in about 2200 rounds I fired through it and I only cleaned it twice - once at 1200 rds and once around 2K mark. I've only about 650 through the custom gun so far.

This article is pretty helpful for evaluating options. http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...-Duty-Use.html
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Used Baer Thunder Ranch Special, older pre-series II Kimbers (may need small reliability work) would be my pick in 5 inch format, but you're still looking at a decent chunk of cash. Out of box, 5 inch series 70 Colts are generally reliable but have poor ergos, in my opinion.
    Perhaps look for "mild" custom market; DocGKR was recently selling Chuck Rogers' tuned 1911. Those usually run well and don't cost arm and leg.

1911s are an expensive game. Unfortunately, for your stated purpose of taking a high volume class, you either will have to pay up for a reliable one, or just take your chances.

The 1911 experts like Doc will be along before too long, but in short, it is best to just forget about it and move along to something like an HK45, M&P 45, or G21. You're not gonna get any sort of guarantee on a 1911 for under $3k.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4me View Post
    The 1911 experts like Doc will be along before too long, but in short, it is best to just forget about it and move along to something like an HK45, M&P 45, or G21. You're not gonna get any sort of guarantee on a 1911 for under $3k.
    I'd head straight for a Gen 4 G21 or M&P45 "midsize"
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I had a s&w 1911pd that I used in a Vickers 1911 class and one or two FPF training classes 1k rds each.right now I'm kicking around the idea of a dw guardian.also my 1991a1 colt gave me zero problems.the only 1911 I had that was junk was a kimber.you can get an inexpensive 1911 that will work fine.springfield,colt,armscor,sig,ruger, rock island...... it all depends on what you want to spend and how "refined" you want it.

I think the jury is still out on Ruger's new pistol. I hear nothing bad but haven't run one yet personally. Now that I've trashed the Checkmate OEM magazines, I like everything about the Dan Wesson I have except a little ergo issue (lack of a chamfer on the back of the safety plate) that's keeping me from running rounds through it. I think that a good but smaller gunsmith (I've got a project working with Mars Armament, who might be a good example) can do what needs done to a Colt 1991 or Springfield Mil-Spec and keep the total way under $2K (pretty much beavertail, thumb safety, sights, and refinish).

If you are sending something to MARS Armament, do him and yourself a favor, and stick to the Pony guns.

For the OP...........I have found most factory guns very wanting in terms of hard use performance. Fact is that all manufacturers cut corners to increase profit margin. In a 1911, that creates a myriad of issues. If you are a "want it now, don't want to wait in line for a build" kind of guy, Nighthawk and Wilson start at just a hair over what you stated was your price range.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    I have a Series One Kimber that I ran at Gunsite in 2007 with no reliabilty issues for 1400 rounds. It has also seen 3 350-500 round training days with regional FBI SWAT teams with no issues. In both cases, the vast majority of ammo shot was with 230FMJ or 230 RNL.

The Bureau has had pretty good luck with the SA Professional. You might find a used one at 2ish with a sharp pencil.

You might also think about a SA TRP or MC Operator and a de-MIM and/or reliabilty job and you could come in under 2 k

The SA Professional Shop does good work ( on non SA guns as well), stands behind their work and has a turn around measured in days/weeks v. months/years.

Having said that, You could get a MP 45 (with factory frame mounted safety) add Apex trigger components and still have a bit of change left for ammo, a class, gear etc.

YMMV

User Tag List