Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Die brand preference?

Lee. Best bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I use Lee for almost everything. I have had spectacular precision rifle accuracy from Lee collet neck sizing dies. Lee is like the Glock of reloading dies.
    I wish you hadn'ta put it that way, Cluster.

Site Supporter
    Handgun volume production, Dillon is really hard to beat. Hornady dies are great except for their sizing die and the spindle retention for the decapper.

Another vote for Dillon for mass production.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Hornady dies are great except for their sizing die and the spindle retention for the decapper.
    Hornady die sets are all I use for 9 mm and 38 Special. Over 20 thousand cartridges reloaded between the two calibers in the last 11 years and have not had a single issue with sizing or decapping cases.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I really like the stuck case extraction capability of Dillon dies.
    I think you could do the same with the Lee setup? Loosen the decap collet and smack it?

Another thing I like about Lee is the Squirrel Daddy pins. I have been using them for decap, but also bought that 223 and 300BO versions that I sure hope work like I expect them to.

ETA: I started with RCBS, but stuck case is a reason to go a different direction.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-26-2019 at 06:19 PM.

I've been using Hornady One Shot case lube since 2003. Zero stuck cases in thousands and thousands of rifle reloads.

Must be living well, I guess.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-26-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have used all common brands. I recommend Lee dies. For reloading straight wall handgun cases, there's not much difference among the offerings. Historically, handgun dies have been designed to reload jacketed not lead bullets. Sometimes that is not satisfactory when a larger diameter expander mandrel or expander button is needed. In every instance it is not. Using Lee dies as an example, when reloading 9mm ammo with cast bullets, I have substituted Lee's .38 S&W expander button for the 9mm button. Why? My Colt, Beretta, and CZ 9mm pistols shine with .357 and .358 bullets. Using the .38 S&W expander allow me to load these. Many including me sometimes have a mismatched die set such a RCBS size die, Lee expander and CH seating die.

The lgs allows me to sit around there. I clean their guns for free and answer employee questions like what's that thingy right there. Occasionally a young guy will ask my advice about reloading. In every instance these folks have ignored my low key and gentle suggestions. Instead they go to MidwayUSA and buy the most expensive items listed. So now I have little to say on the subject but will offer readers here this gem:

If you are sticking cases in sizing dies, that event reflects your reloading technique. I urge you to do two things. One is read the directions. The other is buy and use Imperial Sizing Wax. I am an expert on this subject. Why? Because I have stuck more cases than anybody else here. Plus I've blown up a couple guns when I was young and stupid. Now I'm old and cautious.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    If you are sticking cases in sizing dies, that event reflects your reloading technique. I urge you to do two things. One is read the directions. The other is buy and use Imperial Sizing Wax.
    I use Imperial Sizing Wax. As I mentioned above, I have NO issues with sticking cases in my Lee dies, but have done it twice in the RCBS 35 Whelen set I have. Maybe I'm being too stingy with the wax. My Lee FL sizing dies don't seem to have an issue with my technique though.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Perhaps the RCBS size die is not polished as smoothly as the Lee die. Or it’s internal dimensions may be significantly smaller. If your chamber is on the large size and the RCBS size die is under size, then this might be a factor. RCBS
    will replace the die without asking any questions. Your technique is not a factor in the Whelen cases sticking in the RCBS die.
    Last edited by willie; 05-27-2019 at 07:10 AM.

User Tag List