Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SP101 gunsmith recommendations

H. Bowen used to put a fixed but visible rear sight on the SP101 but I do not see it on his current list.
    T. Yost has similar for hog wallow Smiths, but I don't know if he would put one on a Ruger.

The old old Smith & Wesson fixed target sight would not be a difficult job for a good gunsmith, if you could find somebody to fool with it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I recommend a phone call. The shop number is (502) 226-1230. In my experience, either Marc or Karen answers the phone. Gemini Customs can also supply the base revolver if that is an option for you.
    Sounds good I'll give a ring Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Have you shot a short barreled 327??

Do you plan on using 327 or 32?

A short 327, even long 327s are obnoxiously loud.

A 3" SP101 with the old 158+p lswchp is a great carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Sounds good I'll give a ring Tuesday.
    I only dealt with him once, and it was years ago, but he explained at the time that he was willing to do simple tasks, but the shipping costs were a barrier. Hard for people to spend ~$100 in shipping for $150 for a trigger job or something.

I live in Ohio, and my sales territory includes Kentucky, there are a couple of financial goals I need to get past and then I am probably gonna take a bag of stuff down there to discuss with him

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Have you shot a short barreled 327??

A short 327, even long 327s are obnoxiously loud.
    Yep. Shot a few 100gr Gold Dot and the discontinued 115gr Gold Dot through my LCR this morning as a matter of fact.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I only dealt with him once, and it was years ago, but he explained at the time that he was willing to do simple tasks, but the shipping costs were a barrier. Hard for people to spend ~$100 in shipping for $150 for a trigger job or something.

I live in Ohio, and my sales territory includes Kentucky, there are a couple of financial goals I need to get past and then I am probably gonna take a bag of stuff down there to discuss with him

If you ship via an FFL does that help off set the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If you ship via an FFL does that help off set the cost?
    I think an FFL can mail a handgun, but then ya gotta pay the FFL to screw with it.

ETA: You can put multiple guns in the same box, I have shared with a friend before.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-26-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    H. Bowen used to put a fixed but visible rear sight on the SP101 but I do not see it on his current list.
    I was on his website again looking at the photos of his beautiful work. This has me, once again, wanting an Alpine Conversion in 44 Magnum.

Why? I have a 4" 629 I rarely shoot. A tuned Redhawk would likely be no different.

Gemini's email response is below:

I have done many similar donor and recipient transplant conversions, 10mm to .44 spl etc, however I have also found the .327 Fed Mag to be a bit problematic over the years. Great cartridge, great gun, but in our experience several issues have arisen over the years with them.

We ceased all .327 Fed mag services because the issues we would come acrosss were nothing we could correct. This is due in part to Rugers policy to sell nearly no replacement parts to anyone. Returns of effected weapons to Ruger, whom fairly and quickly replaced the entire weapon for the customer,usually in a different caliber of the customers choosing.

In a small but busy shop like ours, we simply can not afford to lose our work invested into customer projects that potentially required replacement of the weapon by Ruger. Our time and efforts are gone forever and our schedule is always compromised when this occurs.

Bottom line is I do not want to accomplish your conversion, although it is not a bad idea, it has certain risk by our experiences with that caliber that we do not wish to take.

Respectfully.

Marc

Maybe Gary Reeder?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List