Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SP101 gunsmith recommendations

SP101 gunsmith recommendations

I have this crazy idea of basically buying two SP101s. The first would be a Clapp model in 357 Mag. The second would be a standard model in 327 Fed Mag.

Once both are owned, they would be sent to someone to have the barrels and cylinders swapped. Basically make the Clapp into a 327 FM and make the 327 SP101 into a 357 Mag. Once completed the 357 would be sold off or maybe the parts would be traded in to the gunsmith to help offset labor.

I like the idea of the 327 and like the idea of a 6-shooter. But I don't like the lack of a decent rear sight and/or an adjustable sight 4" model.

Problems that may exist:

1--the parts may not interchange between the two models. This is a possibility but I'm guessing Ruger didn't modify the frames much if any between these two models.

2--the 327 is not available with a 2.25" barrel. The existing front sight dovetail on the 3" gun may not allow for chopping and re-cutting a front sight dovetail. A 4" gun might have to be bought.

So who should I talk to about a project like this? Hamilton Bowen comes readily to mind but I don't think he's doing anything other than cataloged work these days. JRH in Nevada? I know nothing about them.

Gunsmith recommendations sought. Also, if this project is a stupid idea I'd like that feedback too.

TIA.

Edited to add that the same project could be done to two GP100s although I'd probably rather have the smallest package possible. Or just stick with an LCR and be done with it...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 05-26-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I have this crazy idea of basically buying two SP101s.

Not that crazy, I bought three of 'em at once, all in .357. Or maybe I'm just crazier than you.

(A 3" for dedicated home defense for my wife, who prefers revolvers, sighted for and loaded with .38 Special+P Gold Dot 135gr JHP, and two 2.25" models; one for CCW to be shot rarely, the other for dedicated practice, both sighted for Buffalo Bore 158gr .357 Magnum.)

All of them were thoroughly worked over by Marc Morganti at Gemini Customs.
    Ruger revolvers are definitely his specialty, and his work is of sterling quality.

Just FWIW, buying the Wiley Clapp edition rather than the standard gun might be a waste the extra cost involved, IMO, if you're planning to get work done on the guns.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    All of them were thoroughly worked over by Marc Morganti at Gemini Customs. .
    I wonder about Gemini. Will he do "simple" work or is he dedicated to full house builds?

I wonder about Gemini. Will he do "simple" work or is he dedicated to full house builds?

Marc Morganti will do as little or as much as you like. While known for the full-house packages, he has done more subtle work for me on a pair of three-inch revolvers in 9x19 and .357 Magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Marc Morganti will do as little or as much as you like. While known for the full-house packages, he has done more subtle work for me on a pair of three-inch revolvers in 9x19 and .357 Magnum.
    Okay. I'll send him an email.

Although his website prominently features his "packages", he definitely does, or at least used to do, limited contract work too.

The guns I mentioned in the post above were done as "package" offerings, but I had him do some more limited and selective work on a GP100, too, though this was over a decade ago.
    Couldn't hurt to write him and ask.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Okay. I'll send him an email.

I recommend a phone call. The shop number is (502) 226-1230. In my experience, either Marc or Karen answers the phone. Gemini Customs can also supply the base revolver if that is an option for you.

Go to the Ruger website and “write the CEO,” and ask for it. That would be a great addition. The .327 in the LCR is a handfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Go to the Ruger website and “write the CEO,” and ask for it. That would be a great addition. The .327 in the LCR is a handfull.
    Already did. They said the Clapp models are distributor exclusive products and not made as standard catalog items.

I guess the next step is to email Talo or Lipseys and ask them.

I like this idea, as I have been hunting for the ideal CCW wheelgun.

I would thoroughly explore my options to add a rear sight to the 327 before going through the trouble of swapping barrels and cylinders. I believe a few shops do, or at least used to, offer a service to mill in a better rear sight.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

User Tag List