Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folder Carry Clinch Pick-esque

Folder Carry Clinch Pick-esque

I am unable to carry a clinch pick concealed as I live in California and have been struggling to find an adequate substitute.

I settled on carrying a Spyderco Cat due to its availability, liner lock, and length (less than 2.5 inches).

I was recently able to get in contact with Black Bear Custom Kydex who designed a sheath based off my specifications for an IWB, Tip Down sheath. I am happy with the result:

I have been running it "upside down" in attempt to mimic a clinch pick:

I am able to deploy the knife with a forward grip edge up with either hand though it will never be as smooth as with a clinch pick.

Anyone else find any better solutions?

Where do Californian knife laws fall, as regards to a sheath for carrying an open folder?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Site Supporter
    Always good to know about creative solutions to various needs as well as the companies that produce them.

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Where do Californian knife laws fall, as regards to a sheath for carrying an open folder?

Considered a dirk/dagger which per PC 21310 are illegal to conceal.

They are defined by PC 16470
    As used in this part, “dirk” or “dagger” means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 21510, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.
    Last edited by Yute; 05-25-2019 at 08:18 PM.

There was at least one guy over at TPI running a P'kal in a similar sheath, set up to engage the wave and auto deploy upon opening.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuksonhwacha View Post
    There was at least one guy over at TPI running a P'kal in a similar sheath, set up to engage the wave and auto deploy upon opening.
    Great memory. Ghetto Medic's setup looked really slick:

Black Bear Custom has some pretty neat auto deploy sheaths for folders. Went without the auto deploy feature to keep the setup as slick as possible.

Previously played around with some waved setups including this bondage monstrosity on a Raven Pocketshield:

It worked to a certain degree but was always a bit of a pain to reset. In the end I didn't have enough space in my pockets to make a knife accessible enough.
    Last edited by Yute; 05-26-2019 at 03:55 AM.

I'd love to have a sheath that would help deploy a folder. In NC we can't carry a fixed blade. I always wondered if it would be legal to carry a pocket knife open in a sheath... I'm guessing the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Yute View Post
    Great memory. Ghetto Medic's setup looked really slick:

Black Bear Custom has some pretty neat auto deploy sheaths for folders. Went without the auto deploy feature to keep the setup as slick as possible.

Previously played around with some waved setups including this bondage monstrosity on a Raven Pocketshield:

It worked to a certain degree but was always a bit of a pain to reset. In the end I didn't have enough space in my pockets to make a knife accessible enough.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    I'd love to have a sheath that would help deploy a folder. In NC we can't carry a fixed blade. I always wondered if it would be legal to carry a pocket knife open in a sheath... I'm guessing the answer is no.
    The Spyderco knives with the Emerson opener as well as Cold Steel knives with the pocket/thumb opening disk generally work well when carried clipped to a pocket.

I have not had the same good results from Emerson waves or from other waved knives using the smaller wave used by Emerson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

the CRKT folders with the full crossguard, with the clip oriented for tip-up carry, work nicely as wave-style openers, and they are nicely rounded and don't tend to chew up pockets.

https://www.crkt.com/collection/m-16...errations.html

I'd like to find e version without serrations, though.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I find the P'Kal carried as intended is extremely fast to deploy without too many issues. Similarly any Delica with a wave or even a zip-tie wave works well.

That said, I bet @Dark Star Gear could come up with a slick rig that waved open a P'Kal or Delica, that could carry in the CP position.

In fact, I just took off my CP and traced the sheath, then set the zip-tie waved Kahr Delica I'm carrying today over it and cut it down and modified it for CP-style carry.

Name:  69482E1B-D1AB-4CCC-ABD0-08AA578C8BFE.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  19.1 KB

Name:  0BDBA70C-8B52-4907-9F83-10B66E5F2AEE.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  17.4 KB
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-17-2019 at 11:27 AM.

User Tag List