Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson A2 in the house

DW break-in procedure

I was reading my DW owner's manual last night. The break-in procedure calls for shooting 300-500 rounds of "ball" ammunition with cleaning and lubrication after shooting 50 rounds. DW rates their 1911s as capable of handling +P ammo. Also for "best results", DW recommends using "ball" ammo and this comment was not in the "break-in" section of the manual. The use of reloaded ammo, commercial or individual, voids the warranty. They recommend the use of factory loaded "new" ammo that meets SAAMI standards.

They recommend a high quality gun oil such as FP-10, Militec-1, or Mil-Comm TW25B grease.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    The use of reloaded ammo, commercial or individual, voids the warranty.
    I’m pretty sure every gun manual says this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Cleaning every 100 rounds? Is that for like a break in procedure of some kind?
    There have been numerous instances of people having trouble with Dan Wesson pistols that did not follow the break-in process provided in the manual. I think they also tell you to use the supplied lube during the break-in.

DW offers a lot of value at the price point and I think their guns are very good. But for reasons I don't completely understand, it's important to follow the prescribed break-in process with their guns otherwise you may be asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    There have been numerous instances of people having trouble with Dan Wesson pistols that did not follow the break-in process provided in the manual. I think they also tell you to use the supplied lube during the break-in.

DW offers a lot of value at the price point and I think their guns are very good. But for reasons I don't completely understand, it's important to follow the prescribed break-in process with their guns otherwise you may be asking for trouble.
    Weird. My valor got through the 2k challenge out of the box without any real trouble.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Weird. My valor got through the 2k challenge out of the box without any real trouble.
    I think most of the issues with following break in rules involves galling in stainless guns. I haven't read about that in a few years, but I'm not reading about 1911s as much as I was in 2015. It might be fixed by now.

-Ciry

Mine had some feeding issues, which were mag issues. In the end I chose the Tripp Cobra mag as my go-to, and feel they are built like tanks, and uber-reliable. I sent it off to John Harrison for a round-butt, FS & MSH scallops, and had him replace the thumb safety with one of his, since the stock one wasn’t fitted properly, and DW refused to fix it under warranty. He also did a tune & reliability check, and found the extractor was a bit too long, and installed one of his. He fitted a pair of his VZ grips, and had it sent off to Birdsong to be coated with Black T.
    He was quite impressed with the overall quality of the gun, and said he wouldn’t hesitate to recommend a DW to a customer for a base gun for a full custom gun, or as is.

It’s ran great ever since.

Name:  CEE6C7BC-5615-4534-88FF-A2CFB27FC5A3.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  61.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I think most of the issues with following break in rules involves galling in stainless guns. I haven't read about that in a few years, but I'm not reading about 1911s as much as I was in 2015. It might be fixed by now.

-Ciry
    This. I think DW continues to advise a specific break-in protocol in part because they spec their guns pretty tight, but largely as a result of the galling issues they had for a discrete period. I follow the two main 1911 sites closely and galling chatter has dropped almost entirely for the last few years.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Mine had some feeding issues, which were mag issues. In the end I chose the Tripp Cobra mag as my go-to, and feel they are built like tanks, and uber-reliable. I sent it off to John Harrison for a round-butt, FS & MSH scallops, and had him replace the thumb safety with one of his, since the stock one wasn’t fitted properly, and DW refused to fix it under warranty. He also did a tune & reliability check, and found the extractor was a bit too long, and installed one of his. He fitted a pair of his VZ grips, and had it sent off to Birdsong to be coated with Black T.
    He was quite impressed with the overall quality of the gun, and said he wouldn’t hesitate to recommend a DW to a customer for a base gun for a full custom gun, or as is.

It’s ran great ever since.

Name:  CEE6C7BC-5615-4534-88FF-A2CFB27FC5A3.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  61.9 KB
    Beautiful gun!

Plus, it’s the rare A2 that runs on 9mm...

I keep eyeballing one of these in an out-of-the way LGS in my region; I could probably make an offer, since they’ve had it a while.

But I’m sort of spoiled by my $450 Mil-Spec Springer that’s actually run Extremely well for me. I don’t want to jinx my luck by buying a “better” 1911...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Beautiful gun!

Plus, it’s the rare A2 that runs on 9mm...

I keep eyeballing one of these in an out-of-the way LGS in my region; I could probably make an offer, since they’ve had it a while.

But I’m sort of spoiled by my $450 Mil-Spec Springer that’s actually run Extremely well for me. I don’t want to jinx my luck by buying a “better” 1911...
    Thanks. My A2 is 45, I just had it on my ammo shelf for the pic. That 9mm ammo is for my Sig’s & HK’s & CZ.

With my Valor, I followed the break in recommendations concerning rounds fired before cleaning, lubing, etc. However, I did use my own SWC handloads and had no issues.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List