Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson A2 in the house

Dan Wesson A2 in the house

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a new Dan Wesson A2 1911 parkerized, 5" barrel. So what about the pistol appealed to me? I like the following: 1) The GI finish, 2) Upgrades sights, 3) Flared and lowered ejection port, 4) Match barrel, 5) arched mainspring housing, 6) A holeless trigger, and 7) No MIM parts.

I did the typical clean and lube job. This pistol box had a date on it of 6/2018. This was not a problem at all. But she was bone dry. The bushing was tight in the slide because of no lube; same with the slide stop. No complaints here, just how the pistol was when i received it.

My first 200 rounds was with Winchester white box ball ammo. 100% feed, fire and eject. This was done in two 100 round sessions with a cleaning after each 100 rounds. About 2 weeks later I shot 150 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 230 gr JHP ammo through it in one session. Again, 100% function.

I don't have any way of measuring the trigger pull. It is by far the nicest trigger of any pistol I own. A shooting buddy tried the trigger and was amazed at the take-up then hammer fall. My only other 1911 is a Springfield Loaded. The two triggers don't come close. The DW is by far the better of the two.

In sum, it's a lot of money for a 1911 but I am satisfied with the DW and look forward to many more outings with it. The only downside is my S&W M&P 2.0 full-size .45ACP had an improved trigger over the 1.0 ( and still does ), but this DW 1911 sure has put things in perspective.

Site Supporter
    Nice. Congrats on the new pistol.

It’s tough to beat a good 1911 trigger. Enjoy!

Before I bought my DW V-Bob, I tried the A2 in the store. I was amazed at the trigger pull and overall fit, finish, and function of the gun. I decided that I really wanted a 9mm for ammo costs and recoil considerations or I'd have been very happy with the A2. Congratulations on the purchase.
    Real guns have hammers.

Chugging right along....an update

Went to the range today and shot 250 rounds thru my DW A2 1911. The menu consisted of 50 rounds HST 230 +P JHP, 100 rounds Remington Golden Saber 230 JHP, and 100 rounds of American Eagle 230 FMJ. All rounds fed, fired, and ejected.

Had a variety of magazines: Chip McCormick Power Mag and Railed Mags, both 8 rounds. Checkmate 7 round magazines with the dimpled follower and slam pad. Dan Wesson 8 round mags which look an awful like Checkmate 8 round hybrid feedlips. Springfield Armory 7 round magazines. Wilson Combat 7 round stainless mags.

All in all, a good day. I shot the two JHP loads first. Saved the FMJ for last which made them seem even more serene after the first 150 rounds.

Really digging my A2

Over the past two months I have put 400 rounds of American Eagle 230 fmj and 23 rounds of 230 JHP (HST and GD) The pistol continues to chug right along, 100% in all facets of function. It has one sweet trigger. I'm a believer!!

The only thing that doesn't appeal to me on the A2 is the hamer profile, and that's a purely aesthetic reaction on my part. I'd imagine that it would be easy enough to swap it for a "standard" 1911 hammer.

Best, Jon

The DWA2 sounds a lot like the short run of CZ1911A1s CZ put out a few years ago. Since CZ owns DW I suspect the two are heavily related. I own one of the CZs and it's as fine a plain vanilla 1911 as I've ever seen.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Congratulations on a classy gun! I have the same feelings about my Valor.
    So.............Pics?

Cleaning every 100 rounds? Is that for like a break in procedure of some kind?
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List