Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: When it goes bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    David Yamane is a great guy and I like him. A sociologist who is open minded and doing research on the gun culture. However, in some instances he is out of his depth in regards to background of firearms training, training history, and tactical rationales. Thus he takes much of what he is presented on face value. But in some cases he may not have the background and knowledge to discern the good from the bad, from the credible from the less credible. Another factor is that David Yamane seems to be a very gracious person. Thus he describes the information provided to him without criticism.
    Apart from describing himself as a gracious person, that's more or less exactly the disclaimer that Yamane himself makes in the linked posts. (He also talks at some length about that picture from your post, btw.) But I'm not citing Yamane as some kind of expert on shooting. I cited his posts because they're virtually all about the way Pincus would likely mean the out-of-context line mentioned earlier in this thread about speeding up and spreading your group out. Yamane doesn't defend Pincus's views--and neither am I defending them--but he does take some trouble to say something about what those views really are. A lot of critics can't be bothered with that step.

FWIW, when we're criticizing someone, iconoclast or not, I think it's nearly impossible to overuse the word 'context'. So I guess we disagree about that.

And here is a lint to a thread about Pincus getting annoyed at a student and tossing that student's gun downrange:https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....eak-off-thread

Read the whole thread.

This post jumps out. One respected member of the board wrote that if that happened to him:

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    There would be an incident.
    To which the late founder of this board added:

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I said basically the same to Rob and his response was, "No you wouldn't. People always say that but no one ever does anything." My guess is that he does a fair job of selecting exactly which people he will or won't treat that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    And here is a lint to a thread about Pincus getting annoyed at a student and tossing that student's gun downrange:https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....eak-off-thread

Read the whole thread.
    I have no interest in Rob Pincus. Just happened to read this thread, having recently read Grant Cunningham's book on pistol drills, and it struck me that at least one of the criticisms being made of Pincus was likely to be factually incorrect. So I mentioned that for the sake of people interested in not being factually incorrect on that point. That's the whole extent of my attempted contribution here. Not some kind of blanket defense of Pincus.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I have no interest in Rob Pincus.
    That came out more negative than I meant it, both regarding Pincus and regarding the recommended thread. Apologies.

User Tag List