Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When it goes bad....

Would it be correct to say that this person teaches gun-fu to the public, yet doesn't have the ability (self-control, "people" skills, etc) to avoid confrontation(s) with his own students?

Seems like we should be able to wash our own dishes.

Site Supporter
    People react differently. I would have left at the next break in activities and may or may not have written the instructor a letter offering constructive criticism. I would not have walked off unless the line was unsafe. Walking off sounds a tad discourteous.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    People react differently. I would have left at the next break in activities and may or may not have written the instructor a letter offering constructive criticism. I would not have walked off unless the line was unsafe. Walking off sounds a tad discourteous.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that last line. Perhaps someone can spin off a thread on class etiquette... form both the perspectives of instructor and student? I mean at first blush, if something has you so agitated as to walk off a firing line, perhaps you shouldn't be there? I like to think my instincts are usually right.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Spoke to my friend that attended Day 2. Full review coming today. The short brief was it was more of the same, with the instructor belittling students, students unsure and unclear on drills, no curriculum guidance. His comment was the guy can’t seem to get past his own ego.

I’m glad I walked off. I’m glad I left. There WERE safety concerns for me. That’s one of the factors that went into my decision tree. Like I stated previously, you get to a point where you take in everything that’s going on around you and say “enough”.

I’ve been around high stress training my entire life. On both sides, as instructor and student. I know how adults learn. I know how training scars are formed. What I witnessed was pathetic, in both structure and delivery. Pathetic.

Site Supporter
    It really stinks that you had a bad experience after investing the time and money into the event. But based on your comments it really sounds like you did the right thing, especially if there were safety concerns.

I would ask for a partial refund.

Is this a thread on a bad instructor or on how to gracefully leave an unproductive/unsafe training environment? Who was the instructor? Where was the class held?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Is this a thread on a bad instructor or on how to gracefully leave an unproductive/unsafe training environment? Who was the instructor? Where was the class held?
    I’d like to know the instructor. If he was this bad and unsafe, it’s probably a good idea to let folks know who it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I mean at first blush, if something has you so agitated as to walk off a firing line, perhaps you shouldn't be there?
    Shitty safety brief, evac, or care plan followed up with assfuckery gun handling and I'd be out. I'd give 0 shits what anyone else would think and don't blame the OP for bouncing if there were safety concerns on top of inflated ego. Telling someone you think they shouldn't be at training because they got their panties in a bunch over ego, lack of direction and safety when you weren't there is pretty ridiculous. Egotistical asshats who don't bother with safety are the worst of the sort, those are the type who get people injured or killed no thanks.

FWIW, I too would like to know who the instructor is so I don't make the same mistake. Maybe mods could move this to an area where it isn't in open forum. It sucks to shell out good money and travel time just to end up majorly disappointed or worse injured. @TomJones it would be really awesome if we could have a section specifically for reviews in a closed/site supporter area where people can give honest feedback without worry about slamming an instructor openly. I can see some people getting butthurt over their favorite personalities but I'd like to think that most of us are grown up enough to not get too riled up. My apologies if this has been mentioned before.
    Last edited by Mike C; 05-26-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Shitty safety brief, evac, or care plan followed up with assfuckery gun handling and I'd be out. I'd give 0 shits what anyone else would think and don't blame the OP for bouncing if there were safety concerns on top of inflated ego. Telling someone you think they shouldn't be at training because they got their panties in a bunch over ego, lack of direction and safety when you weren't there is pretty ridiculous. Egotistical asshats who don't bother with safety are the worst of the sort, those are the type who get people injured or killed no thanks.

FWIW, I too would like to know who the instructor is so I don't make the same mistake. Maybe mods could move this to an area where it isn't in open forum. It sucks to shell out good money and travel time just to end up majorly disappointed or worse injured. @TomJones it would be really awesome if we could have a section specifically for reviews in a closed/site supporter area where people can give honest feedback without worry about slamming an instructor openly. I can see some people getting butthurt over their favorite personalities but I'd like to think that most of us are grown up enough to not get too riled up. My apologies if this has been mentioned before.
    I might be reading you wrong, buy I wasn't disagreeing with the OP; in fact just the opposite, if his instincts were telling him "BOUNCE!" then it's more than likely the right choice.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List