Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tulsa LEO takes out shooter in highway traffic

The officer did an excellent job.

To nit-pick, well, as BBI observed, if one is driving, drive. I saw some teetering-on-edge-of-disaster handling of that steering wheel and long gun. If one cracks-up the patrol vehicle, before arrival, there is no arrival.

Handing the coffee to the passenger officer was a wise move; let him get the coffee secured.

One clue about pursuit/emergency driving: Keep one’s fingers, thumbs, hands, and everything else OUTSIDE steering wheel. Visualize those spokes being double-edged blades, that will chop off anything within the perimeter of the wheel. How does one remember to drive like way, during pursuits, and when en route to hot calls? Easy; drive that way all the time, every day, every trip. Why? It prevents “air bag face,” and keeps one’s fingers, thumbs, and hands from being broken, in the event of a collision. A steering wheel can spin violently, during a collision.

One reason I really valued our Tahoes is that I had plenty of room to get even the lengthy Benelli M2 from its resting place, to a diagonal position across my thighs, with just my right hand, while driving with my left hand. (The Ford miniaturized, make-believe utility vehicles, which I had to use at the end of my career, made it VERY difficult to maneuver a long gun while inside the vehicle, which was a significant factor in my decision to retire as soon as I did, rather than work another year or so.) I had a well-researched ritual chain of actions to get stopped, un-seat-belted, and out the door, shotgun-muzzle-first, without getting wreck-tangled.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Some of our officers would stop enroute to high risk calls to obtain the rifle from the trunk. I rarely did that, but I had a shotgun in an overhead rack as well as the rifle in the trunk. My thought was that in most cases, if I needed a gun right freaking now as I stopped the cruiser, it would be a situation that could be resolved with either the pistol or the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    it would be a situation that could be resolved with either the pistol or the gauge.
    When I was a patrol Sgt., even though I stocked quite a bit of additional ordnance in the trunk, I ran an Ithaca Model 37 with, IIRC, about a 13.5 inch barrel, in a fabbed rack alongside my right knee attached to the console. It was an old war horse with an action that was slicker than a snot covered snake on a marble floor. That, and a 6 shell belt pouch was mildly comforting.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Some of our officers would stop enroute to high risk calls to obtain the rifle from the trunk. I rarely did that, but I had a shotgun in an overhead rack as well as the rifle in the trunk. My thought was that in most cases, if I needed a gun right freaking now as I stopped the cruiser, it would be a situation that could be resolved with either the pistol or the gauge.
    I've done that, and usually when I'm going to throw on a rifle rated vest as well. I then tuck the rifle down between the seat and center console as John "Shrek" McPhee teaches. It worked for me when I bailed out of my car and ended up in a police action, as I bailed with my rifle.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List