Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa LEO takes out shooter in highway traffic

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm fairly loathe to start moderating stuff out of this thread that doesn't belong, but I think everyone knows what doesn't belong. Let's not let this devolve into a pissing match/name-calling thread. That said, feel free to call out bad tactics and ignorance of the realities of these decisions.

I think this officer was quite aware of his surroundings. If he wasn't he would have gotten smoked by the car that blew past him as other traffic stopped for him. I've actually been in the situation of covering an armed robbery with my rifle while motorists kept right on driving between us. I didn't have to shoot, but I was quite cognizant of where traffic was.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Reminds me of a robbery suspect I chased on foot once. We crossed a 6 lane federal highway and I had a Beretta stuck out while running.
    He was trying to fish his pocket pistol out but couldn’t due to his running wide open.

This old lady was going to cream him but she swerved at me instead. Blew her horn....at the officer in full uniform running with a stainless 92 in his fist.

After catching the guy, I laughed about that for a bit.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    A very large tip of the Stetson to the officer. I have no doubt at all that he did a lot of training "On his own dime, and on his own time".

Bless him for having the skill, the drive and the pure guts to stop the threat. I have zero doubt whatsoever he saved lives.

I hope the people of Tulsa recognize him for this. Those poor folks are having a real battle with flooding and tornadoes right now as well.
    Reading that, I suddenly realized:

"I've seen this before. Patrick Mcnamara does that kind of stuff".
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Looks like he took the safety off around 6:24 and continued to move into position.

What's everyone's departmental policy on moving with their patrol rifle off safe? Does something like this come up in review, even just for training purposes?

I'm not faulting him, I think he did an amazing job (and I've done this in training myself so realize sh!t happens under stress), just noticed it and curious.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    Looks like he took the safety off around 6:24 and continued to move into position.

What's everyone's departmental policy on moving with their patrol rifle off safe? Does something like this come up in review, even just for training purposes?

I'm not faulting him, I think he did an amazing job (and I've done this in training myself so realize sh!t happens under stress), just noticed it and curious.
    We don't have a policy specifically on it, but we do train to safe before moving.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    we need to understand that a stupid camera doesn’t have the FOV of the human eye
    It's also positioned very differently. Watching the whole thing unfold from basically under the rifle's mag with the rifle blocking a large portion of the view definitely gives a strange perspective.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We don't have a policy specifically on it, but we do train to safe before moving.
    This.

Site Supporter

Ours is to be on safe whenever not actually pressing the trigger.

Site Supporter
    We never put that in policy. I taught off-target/on-safe with the shotgun, I understood that stuff happens and that such stuff can be difficult to codify. For instance, if you off-safe and then move, should you on-safe if you're only moving to get a better angle? Should you on-safe after engaging and you lower the weapon to see if the fallen suspect is still a threat?

We can debate issues like this and rightly so if we want to improve the profession of arms, but I wanted to avoid differing perceptions or even techniques being prohibited by policy (within reason, of course).

I suspect the current chief and the firearms training coordinator (who loves reporting cops to command) require an email request to off-safe long guns.

Once a round is chambered in an AR or shotgun, we teach & train when Off-Target the weapon is On-Safe, you go Off-Safe as you go On-Target. We choose not to make it policy but rather practice.

From only limited viewing, it was nicely done by the officer.

User Tag List