Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa LEO takes out shooter in highway traffic

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I disagree. The benefits of physical conditioning and mindset is very much on topic.
    I meant posting in the LE SF, not being LE, I misread the sticky. Don't wanna get my ass shunned offa PF!

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    "knowing he was a little winded after running"

(for starters, I wish we could clone that guy)

IANALeo, but I ran track in high school. What's the doctrine on pacing in a situation like this? When he got out of his car people were telling him the perp was inside the mall, so you'd want to run fast to get there and stop the killing. But it turned out that info was bad/outdated, and he had to run a lot farther.

From my track days, if you set out at your 100 yd pace and end up running 200 yds, you're in a world of hurt. Ditto for trying to run a 440 at a 220 pace - that's when you see people collapsing at the finish line. What's the doctrine for responding to an emergency? Limit your pace to an easy jog you can maintain for an extended period? How often, in training, do people get to/have to run a couple hundred yards before the shooting starts?

(I wish this could be widely seen. I presume that 5 min before the vid starts the officer was enjoying his coffee, not a care in the world. Then the radio sends him to an active shooter situation. When he gets there no one knows where the shooter is or what he looks like. He goes in anyway, then sprints a long way, then dodges traffic, then does a great job stopping the shooter, and then, if I understand the video right, is trying to get the ambulance there right now to save the shooter. He should be lionized like Capt. Sullenberger rightfully was.)
    Doctrine i would say is the priority of life balanced against your conditioning level, proficiency with what guns you are bringing to the fight, and situation. I ran a dead sprint to a possible hanging call up a hill behind a trailer park, i wouldn’t do the same thing and run down the barrel of an active shooter. I will still move to the sound of guns as fast as i can, but not so hard you are gassed and can’t maneuver and kill the shooter when you get there.

Don’t forget the massive amount of gear, patrol duty belt, etc. Time permitting grabbing a long gun and even a spare mag, additional weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    Looks like he took the safety off around 6:24 and continued to move into position.

What's everyone's departmental policy on moving with their patrol rifle off safe? Does something like this come up in review, even just for training purposes?

I'm not faulting him, I think he did an amazing job (and I've done this in training myself so realize sh!t happens under stress), just noticed it and curious.
    Like many others have stated, we train "off target ON SAFE." Have I seen slip ups in shoot houses - you betcha. Most folks I've pointed it out to don't even realize they're off safe...

Site Supporter
    This video really made me miss being a police officer. A good example of stopping the threat; stopping further casualties . I think he did a great job from what I saw in the video; so good that it should be shown to everyone as an example of how to do it. I always reminded everyone the range is square, the world is round. They are different and you must apply range lessons to the real world. I don’t remember where I picked that up. Gene Zink? I wonder if he was an FTO? Good example of two to a car is better and I wish it was the standard. I don’t think he was ex military because he didn’t say fuck once.

Looks like you had a bunch of panicked civilians, general chaos, a highway full of traffic, a number of LE in the area, but this one officer took charge, made solving it his priority, and got it done. Any minor nitpicking or Monday Morning quarterbacking needs to be balanced with what an extraordinary individual effort this was by this officer. He could have easily have called for SWAT, someone to stop traffic, EMR for the wounded, and never left the restaurant. It was really fortunate he was there! What a credit to Law Enforcement and the Tulsa department he is.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This strikes me as a good example of a situation where a rifle was the only tool for the job. A shotgun or pistol would have put him in a bind big time. Unbelievable composure by the officer. This performance didn’t come overnight. Fitness, experience, tactics, and everything else showed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearqueer View Post
    This strikes me as a good example of a situation where a rifle was the only tool for the job. A shotgun or pistol would have put him in a bind big time.
    On one hand a rifle problem, but on the other hand I have a feeling this officer was going to get the job done regardless.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This video starts with the shooting and shows traffic after the shot. I was impressed that at least one motorist had the presence of mind to stop and stay out of the line of fire. I'm totally OK with the shot he took. As mentioned, the camera isn't showing what he saw at eye level or the 180 degree view of peripheral vision. If you hunt you know that if you wait for the perfect shot you're probably going home with no meat. Same here. If he had waited and his line of fire was occluded by a semi, the shooter could have shot into a number of vehicles.

Kudos to this officer for having the guts to take the shot.

https://lawofficer.com/news/video-tu...er-on-highway/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Looks like you had a bunch of panicked civilians, general chaos, a highway full of traffic, a number of LE in the area, but this one officer took charge, made solving it his priority, and got it done. Any minor nitpicking or Monday Morning quarterbacking needs to be balanced with what an extraordinary individual effort this was by this officer. He could have easily have called for SWAT, someone to stop traffic, EMR for the wounded, and never left the restaurant. It was really fortunate he was there! What a credit to Law Enforcement and the Tulsa department he is.
    He did what current training doctrine says to. SWAT isn't for a non- contained and active threat. He did pass along where wounded were, but continued to look for the threat.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    He did what current training doctrine says to. SWAT isn't for a non- contained and active threat. He did pass along where wounded were, but continued to look for the threat.

Well, there's hauling ass and there's hauling ass...I wonder what percentage of officers, (even the fit ones), are capable of the physical and mental preparedness that the situation calls for?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List