Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa LEO takes out shooter in highway traffic

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Yeah he stopped the threat. Fucking hero. Till he tags one of your relatives pulling shit like that.

We're not in Iraq.
    And if this officer moved up or otherwise delayed action waiting for a 'better' shot, that active shooter asshole could have murdered one of your relatives and you'd be at the front of the line screaming about how this officer dilly-dallied and didn't act fast enough.

I swear you're the kind of person that can get dropped onto a cruise ship full of lingerie models and the world's finest booze free of charge, and you'd spend the whole time bitching about how the buffet line lobster tails were cooked and how the linens in your ocean-view cabin weren't soft enough.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    On another note, this officer’s performance is a great example of “emotional control” during action.
    The harshest word he said in the video from what I recall was “frick”

Frick.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    And if this officer moved up or otherwise delayed action waiting for a 'better' shot, that active shooter asshole could have murdered one of your relatives and you'd be at the front of the line screaming about how this officer dilly-dallied and didn't act fast enough.

I swear you're the kind of person that can get dropped onto a cruise ship full of lingerie models and the world's finest booze free of charge, and you'd spend the whole time bitching about how the buffet line lobster tails were cooked and how the linens in your ocean-view cabin weren't soft enough.
    Water was spewed all over my keyboard!

Excellent job by the officer in question. Cool, calm, collected, in shape, with hits on target taking out the threat.

If someone is in the middle of the interstate shooting at cars, there's only two ways to stop that: Shoot the idiot or run the idiot over. Officer had a rifle and had left his car behind.

Great shooting in less than perfect conditions.

Regards.

The officer was definitely one of the most calm and collected I’ve ever seen during and after a critical incident. He had the presence of mind to set himself up in a stable shooting position knowing he was a little winded after running. Then he was able to recognize and take advantage of a very brief opportunity in which there were no vehicles between himself and the suspect. I can only hope I handle myself that well should I ever have to shoot anyone.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

"knowing he was a little winded after running"

(for starters, I wish we could clone that guy)

IANALeo, but I ran track in high school. What's the doctrine on pacing in a situation like this? When he got out of his car people were telling him the perp was inside the mall, so you'd want to run fast to get there and stop the killing. But it turned out that info was bad/outdated, and he had to run a lot farther.

From my track days, if you set out at your 100 yd pace and end up running 200 yds, you're in a world of hurt. Ditto for trying to run a 440 at a 220 pace - that's when you see people collapsing at the finish line. What's the doctrine for responding to an emergency? Limit your pace to an easy jog you can maintain for an extended period? How often, in training, do people get to/have to run a couple hundred yards before the shooting starts?

(I wish this could be widely seen. I presume that 5 min before the vid starts the officer was enjoying his coffee, not a care in the world. Then the radio sends him to an active shooter situation. When he gets there no one knows where the shooter is or what he looks like. He goes in anyway, then sprints a long way, then dodges traffic, then does a great job stopping the shooter, and then, if I understand the video right, is trying to get the ambulance there right now to save the shooter. He should be lionized like Capt. Sullenberger rightfully was.)

When did squad cars get the self driving feature? LOL on the knee driving.

I too did the WTF about shooting across 6 lanes of traffic at first. However, we need to understand that a stupid camera doesn’t have the FOV of the human eye. Went back and looked at it a few times and the left to right traffic (truck in the near lane) can clearly be seen as stopping short of the guy with the rifle pointed over the barricade. Right to left traffic that I can see is the top if a dark vehicle moving through, but after the shots went down range. Given the calm manner of the officer, I’m going to err on the side of the LEO and go with: his FOV gave him enough info to decide he had enough time between cars to take a good shot.

Is it optimal. Hell no, but then what is in actual life?

Impressive muzzle discipline for driving at pursuit pace one-handed with a carbine over that arm.

Site Supporter
    Greg Ellifritz's take on the incident vs. Alpha Sierra's.

Take your choice - Greg's : https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...p-is-a-freeway

A very large tip of the Stetson to the officer. I have no doubt at all that he did a lot of training "On his own dime, and on his own time".

Bless him for having the skill, the drive and the pure guts to stop the threat. I have zero doubt whatsoever he saved lives.

I hope the people of Tulsa recognize him for this. Those poor folks are having a real battle with flooding and tornadoes right now as well.

Sometimes the body has to be the acceptable backstop.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List