Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig’s M4A1 and M249 replacements in 6.8x51

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Milley seems to channel the big boss.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    -->We're fielding a needlessly powerful battle rifle to counter a non-existent armor threat that will no longer be AP within the decade.
    This seems to be the case.

AP is only one aspect of the caliber change. They also want to extend the effective range of the rifle to 500 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    AP is only one aspect of the caliber change. They also want to extend the effective range of the rifle to 500 meters.
    Can't have your cake and eat it too... recoil impulse.

Thats true. If you read the link in the first post, the Sig entry has some type of recoil reducing technology and is heavier than the current M4.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Can't have your cake and eat it too... recoil impulse.
    The Russians have a counterbalance system in some of their newer designs. Suposedly works well but adds weight and some complexity.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I would think that a recoil mitigating design (there are several ways to do it) would make this rifle less tiring to fire in semi auto, but not controllable in full auto.

In a much heavier LMG role, full auto controllability (for its intended use) would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The Russians have a counterbalance system in some of their newer designs. Suposedly works well but adds weight and some complexity.
    Oh, please, Vlad, please make shitty Russian engineering* more complicated...

*Yeah, yeah, AK47, T34... But what have they done that actually worked lately?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    So... it's a "show me what you've got" thing

I guess they will take their time to decide then.
    Haha, nah, they will look at everything, analyze it, and at the last minute call the whole thing off and then in a couple of years will contract someone else to make the winning item, with a few changes, at a cheaper price. Thats how government do.

User Tag List