Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig’s M4A1 and M249 replacements in 6.8x51

Sig’s M4A1 and M249 replacements in 6.8x51

#RESIST

Half the weight of a 240 is going to be popular so long as it works. A heavier M4 replacement probably won't be popular, regardless.

That said, I know next to nothing about the cartridge.

Still no lightweight ammo... This would be a HUGE improvemente, but will it ever be achieved?
    This hybrid ammo shown is brass case, steel base, probably to allow higher pressures.

Several companies have developed hybrid brass (or steel) base + polymer case ammo in conventional calibers, there is currently 50 BMG of this type in use but apparently there are still problems with smaller calibers?

Textron's Cased Telescoped Small Arms Systems (CTSAS) program remains in an eternal limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Still no lightweight ammo... This would be a HUGE improvemente, but will it ever be achieved?
    This hybrid ammo shown is brass case, steel base, probably to allow higher pressures.

Several companies have developed hybrid brass (or steel) base + polymer case ammo in conventional calibers, there is currently 50 BMG of this type in use but apparently there are still problems with smaller calibers?

Textron's Cased Telescoped Small Arms Systems (CTSAS) program remains in an eternal limbo.
    Textron has a submission in this competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    Textron has a submission in this competition.
    Yes, but this competition seems for the new 6.8x51 caliber in carbine and LMG versions... it is also open to cased telescoped 6.8 ammo?

Does 6.8x51 amount to a .270/.308 or is the case length coincidental for a different head diameter?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Yes, but this competition seems for the new 6.8x51 caliber in carbine and LMG versions... it is also open to cased telescoped 6.8 ammo?
    The competition is not specific to the 6.8x51. It is open to what ever 6.8 round they can come up with that will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The competition is not specific to the 6.8x51. It is open to what ever 6.8 round they can come up with that will do the job.
    So... it's a "show me what you've got" thing

I guess they will take their time to decide then.

Site Supporter
    So... it's a "show me what you've got" thing

I guess they will take their time to decide then.
    You will recall the MHS also did not specify caliber / round though 9mm was the safe bet there.

Is this Gen. Miley's pet project, or does this have some serious support?

Or, I guess more generally, is there any actual evidence this is going anywhere, unlike the last several times Big Army has tried to replace the M16/M4?

User Tag List