Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BRN-10 & CETME L review

Note the trigger pull in the specs? 11.25 pounds. Must be made by Gazelle....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ive got a AR70.....only place ive been able to get extra mags from was dsgarms. Love me some prebans... yeah the trigger pull in the one Im looking at is nothing special. Classic crappy preban rifle trigger.
    Last edited by rcbusmc24; 05-25-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Of the non-AR's I'd like a Valmet or Galil but for my purposes of 2 gun matches and SD the AR is customizable, plentiful, durable, reliable and accurate beyond my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    for my purposes of 2 gun matches and SD the AR is customizable, plentiful, durable, reliable and accurate beyond my needs.
    Yeah that's the appeal of both of these guns I think. Not necessarily practical or even useful for some uses. But sometimes it is fun to own something just because.

Kind of like a Royal Enfield motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Yeah that's the appeal of both of these guns I think. Not necessarily practical or even useful for some uses. But sometimes it is fun to own something just because.

Kind of like a Royal Enfield motorcycle.

Yep, agreed. My daily driver is a Toyota FJ Cruiser, always wanted one but completely impractical. But I love it.

The Brownell's reproduction is an interesting rifle. I've wanted something similar for years. Armalite came close with the M14 magazine rifles but kept too many M16A2 features to make a nostalgia gun.

What I don't like about the Brownell's BRN-10 is the choice of model. Why go with a Cuban pattern when probably 99% of the interested parties want something like the late production Portuguese rifle? I think the current gun with a half plastic half ventilated steel handguard would make just about everything right. Maybe the purists would lament that such a rifle would have an incorrect front sight base (no gas adjustment) and a non-forward assist charging handle.

Brownell's seems to be having a good amount of success with the various M16 retro rifles. Maybe the 308 series will see a similar treatment? Are Sudanese and transitional models in the works?

Wasn't Hill and Mac working on an StG44 clone?
    There are repros here and there, but they're not mass produced affordable guns. Reliability can be an issue, and the niche gun market (like the HK F/A conversion market) seems to have continual problems with the integrity of small shops (taking your money for vaporware). People get angry when holster makers fuck them over on a $100-$200 holster order...….imagine dropping thousands of dollars and never seeing anything for it.

The Smith FG42 repro costs about $5-$7k the last time I looked at any. I plan on buying one in the future as sort of a grail gun, but that's immaterial to the point that I think the FG42, Stg44, and Stg45 would have much more interest in the shooting community than the CETME. Any HK roller delayed junkies would undoubtedly have more interest in the Stg45 than the CETME.

I'd go so far to say that there's any number of rifles that would be more desirable than the CETME. The Fedorov, G43, RSC M1917, Johnson M1941, EM2, and Stoner 63. I'd add Dragunov, but I'm guessing that most people who would want one but can't afford a real one are already getting their COMBLOC DMR kick from the PSL and 23" barreled VEPRs, and while they're Kalashnikovs and not SVDs, they're similar enough.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-26-2019 at 09:08 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    There are repros here and there, but they're not mass produced affordable guns. Reliability can be an issue, and the niche gun market (like the HK F/A conversion market) seems to have continual problems with the integrity of small shops (taking your money for vaporware). People get angry when holster makers fuck them over on a $100-$200 holster order...….imagine dropping thousands of dollars and never seeing anything for it.

The Smith FG42 repro costs about $5-$7k the last time I looked at any. I plan on buying one in the future as sort of a grail gun, but that's immaterial to the point that I think the FG42, Stg44, and Stg45 would have much more interest in the shooting community than the CETME. Any HK roller delayed junkies would undoubtedly have more interest in the Stg45 than the CETME.

I'd go so far to say that there's any number of rifles that would be more desirable than the CETME. The Fedorov, G43, RSC M1917, Johnson M1941, EM2, and Stoner 63. I'd add Dragunov, but I'm guessing that most people who would want one but can't afford a real one are already getting their COMBLOC DMR kick from the PSL and 23" barreled VEPRs, and while they're Kalashnikovs and not SVDs, they're similar enough.
    The Stoner 63 was already done. Robinson did those 15 or 20 years ago. An interesting idea but they never sold that well from what I understand. Those guns are now somewhat collectible in their own right.

While it is possible someone like Ohio Ordnance could recreate a Johnson or a Federov, I believe the market would simply be too small to make such an endeavor profitable.

Last edited by Tokarev; 05-26-2019 at 09:26 AM.

The Stoner 63 was already done. Robinson did those 15 or 20 years ago. An interesting idea but they never sold that well from what I understand. Those guns are now somewhat collectible in their own right.
    Sold poorly compared to cheap AR15s and WASR 10s.

They didn't sell poorly compared to other expensive, historical oriented guns.

There's some other things going on there impacting sales besides the gun, as well....namely the company, a factor that would be remedied if it were the Brownells M96, instead.

While it is possible someone like Ohio Ordnance could recreate a Johnson or a Federov, I believe the market would simply be too small to make such an endeavor profitable.
    Something I was thinking regarding this, is how much data is already out there on the CETME from the parts kits over the years that probably made the design and production easier.

I imagine that the other guns might be a lot more labor to recreate, but I'm still convinced they'd be more desirable than a rifle regarded as a half-functional Spanish garbage gun of no historical significance.

IDK.....the way I look at it is if you had a manufacturer building new production historical cars. You could have any number of desirable, interesting, beautiful, culturally and/or historically significant guns........but instead they build an expensive version of the Edsel, Pinto, or AMC Gremlin. Da'fuq.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-26-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sold poorly compared to cheap AR15s and WASR 10s.

They didn't sell poorly compared to other expensive, historical oriented guns.

There's some other things going on there impacting sales besides the gun, as well....namely the company, a factor that would be remedied if it were the Brownells M96, instead.

Something I was thinking regarding this, is how much data is already out there on the CETME from the parts kits over the years that probably made the design and production easier.

I imagine that the other guns might be a lot more labor to recreate, but I'm still convinced they'd be more desirable than a rifle regarded as a half-functional Spanish garbage gun of no historical significance.

IDK.....the way I look at it is if you had a manufacturer building new production historical cars. You could have any number of desirable, interesting, beautiful, culturally and/or historically significant guns........but instead they build an expensive version of the Edsel, Pinto, or AMC Gremlin. Da'fuq.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. But it will have to be someone small like a Robinson or a Hill and Mac or Macolmar. Expecting Ruger or FN to undertake such an endeavor simply is wishful thinking at best.

Even then, nobody will take the financial gamble and reproduce something like a Federov or even a Johnson. There are no suplus parts kits to build on so every last piece would have to be made from scratch. Yeah, modern castings could be used but there again you would have to have someone big in the industry (Ruger) get involved. I assume Ruger would make anything you want as long as it was profitable to do so. Would Ohio Ordnance or whoever have the funds to pay for such a project?

The CETME L is being made simply because there are 10,000 kits on the market.

User Tag List