Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Smith and Wesson M10

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What MAS said plus an M-1 carbine.

His partner Bill Allard used a 1911 as back up to the .38 that was his official primary. If I recall correct it was a National Match or a Gold Cup. Might be what you are thinking of. NYPDs back up gun rules were a lot looser back then. Carrying a 1911 or BHP as a “back up” to a .38 Revolver was not unheard of.
    Chicago was similar in the day wasn't it?

You had to have a 38 special as primary but you could back it up with a 44 magnum.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    You ought to look up the interview with Bob Stasch...Chicago PD guy who had more than a few gunfights himself.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What MAS said plus an M-1 carbine.

His partner Bill Allard used a 1911 as back up to the .38 that was his official primary. If I recall correct it was a National Match or a Gold Cup. Might be what you are thinking of. NYPDs back up gun rules were a lot looser back then. Carrying a 1911 or BHP as a “back up” to a .38 Revolver was not unheard of.
    Jim liked the M-1 carbine, but he never mentioned shooting anyone with it himself. He did do some neutralizing with the 14" Ithaca 37 that was the issue stakeout gun that seems to have gotten the most actual deployment in shootings. He and Bill preferred slugs over buck, especially after Bill Allard had to shoot a guy three times with 00 buck before the guy stopped trying to shoot people. That guy had taken two rounds of 00 through the thorax from Bill AND a .38 slug from Bill's partner of that shift, not Jim, and it was the .38 slug that broke the running gunman's pelvis and actually put him down but not out. Bill put the final, deciding buckshot blast through the guy's chest side to side as he rolled up and over from prone trying to shoot Bill with his pistol, a .32 CZ as I recall. Bill's account of the shooting can be heard at proarmspodcast.com.

And, HCM has a helluva good memory: Bill's .45 was a National Match. Last time I talked to him, Bill's carry gun in retirement is another 5" 1911 .45, the NM being honorably retired. As designated firearms instructor for the Stakeout Squad, Bill Allard had special permission to carry the .45 for, uh, research or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I carried my fixed-sight Model 58 M&P voluntarily, on and off the clock, from 1984, until it its action became too loose for me to feel OK shooting it, about 1991. Yes, “M&P” meant a fixed-sight revolver, back then. This sixgun was scary-accurate. Fixed sights that are properly regulated are as good as anything out there. Why should I not want to carry such a weapon, for years?

The adjustable rear sights, on the revolvers I carried on duty from 1984 to 1985, and from 1993 to 1997, “had me a little concerned.”

I remember seeing a colleague drop an S&W Model 686, at the start of a building search, in early 1984. It landed on the rear sight, and the blade broke. Fixed-sight revolvers remain relevant, for a reason.

Like most LEOs in the USA, I owned all of my duty handguns, within guidelines.

My newest weapon purchase is a S&W Model 64-2, 2” barrel. Fixed sight. Just right. Unless there is something found to be wrong with it, I will probably carry it until my gun-carrying days are over.
    Fixed sights for the win
    Name:  KIMG1280.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  27.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I absolutely love taking a shooter to the range that has never fired a sweet old Smith or Colt wheelgun. You hand them a revolver made 60-ish years ago, and watch them just stack holes. The look as their face lights up is worth it.

There's a reason I'm usually bringing home another old revolver every month. It's because they are worth it.
    I could not had said it better myself.

Thank you all for the great rsponces. I couldnt get to a computer sooner to respond I guess i am as old school as revolvers. Any how lots of great responses there is just something about a wheel gun that a semi auto doesnt have. Its like comparing records to cd.s.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    Thank you all for the great rsponces. I couldnt get to a computer sooner to respond I guess i am as old school as revolvers. Any how lots of great responses there is just something about a wheel gun that a semi auto doesnt have. Its like comparing records to cd.s.
    So, did you buy it?

$350 is basically the standard price for a decent M10. I can sometimes find them at a police supply store around here for $275-$300. But if you don't have access to a source like that, $350 is normal.

As mentioned above, just check the heck out of the timing and lockup. It's very easy to do. If it doesn't time perfectly on all cylinders, or has some end shake, I'd walk away from it.

You can buy those M10's that were carried a lot and barely shot, but others have been shot a lot. Retiming them is about an $80 job at a place like Clarks and unless you have a local guy, you might have to ship the gun out and back to fix it (another $75 in shipping). Easier and cheaper to get one with perfect timing. I hope the one you are looking at is perfect.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Jim liked the M-1 carbine, but he never mentioned shooting anyone with it himself. He did do some neutralizing with the 14" Ithaca 37 that was the issue stakeout gun that seems to have gotten the most actual deployment in shootings. He and Bill preferred slugs over buck, especially after Bill Allard had to shoot a guy three times with 00 buck before the guy stopped trying to shoot people. That guy had taken two rounds of 00 through the thorax from Bill AND a .38 slug from Bill's partner of that shift, not Jim, and it was the .38 slug that broke the running gunman's pelvis and actually put him down but not out. Bill put the final, deciding buckshot blast through the guy's chest side to side as he rolled up and over from prone trying to shoot Bill with his pistol, a .32 CZ as I recall. Bill's account of the shooting can be heard at proarmspodcast.com.

And, HCM has a helluva good memory: Bill's .45 was a National Match. Last time I talked to him, Bill's carry gun in retirement is another 5" 1911 .45, the NM being honorably retired. As designated firearms instructor for the Stakeout Squad, Bill Allard had special permission to carry the .45 for, uh, research or something...

Thanks for the detailed info, it is very interesting.

I've read some of it before in a couple of books I enjoy, along with some material published in "American Handgunner." : ]

Never hurts to read it again!
    Last edited by sparkyfender; 06-01-2019 at 03:31 PM.

User Tag List