Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson M10

Site Supporter
    After shooting my security sixes, I can say a good old school revolver is hard to beat. They make me look so much better than I am.

This is based on my limited experience but.....With the right set of grips, a good holster and proper revolver training, I would feel confident in carrying one in almost any setting in the USA.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A nice Model 10 is about as close to "everything you need, nothing you don't" gun as there is.

Google "revolver checkout" and you'll find all you need to know in checking one for faults. While it doesn't apply to the gun you've considering, finish-challenged S&W K-frames (like the Model 10) and Ruger Security/Speed-Sixes are quite often great guns for the asking price. There's nothing wrong with a gun with some honest holster wear.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    There was this guy named Pat who did a lot of good work with a model 10. I'm a fan.

However, if you have so many different guns that you can't decide what to carry, or you show up to the range with more than two guns, you might consider thinning the herd. Focusing on one thing for at least six months (both for carry and at the range) is an approach that's worked for me.
    I might have a problem [emoji3]
    Glock 42 and 48 go to the range always, my edcs. And at least one revolver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I might have a problem [emoji3]
    Glock 42 and 48 go to the range always, my edcs. And at least one revolver.
    I fail to see a problem with that range gear.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I fail to see a problem with that range gear.

His last post, when added to his first one, indicates he has the same affliction many of us have, and it's not with his range gear. He loves firearms. The first step in recovery is admitting that you have a problem. Hi, my name is ______ and I'm a gun lover.
    Last edited by 11B10; 05-24-2019 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    The fixed sights had me a little concerned as well.
    These are fighting guns, not target guns.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    The fixed sights had me a little concerned as well. Its hard to believe that police cared them for years.
    These are fighting guns, not target guns. Plenty of criminals have been put to rest permanently with them.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-24-2019 at 05:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    You absolutely need at least one .38 or .357 revolver in your life.

Jim Cirillo and a bunch of other guys in the stakeout unit were issued Smith model 10s and 158 gr LSWC ammo. They sure dropped a number of criminals in their day. Sure, there are a lot of good JHP designs that can be launched with boring reliability from any number of plastiblasties for several hundreds of thousands of rounds, but it's comforting to know that even old school bullet designs with less power than 9mm practice ammo from a capacity reduced pistol can get it done if you are a good shooter with good mindset and appropriate violence of action.

That said...it's not a gun I'd carry nowadays. But as a gun to practice a smooth, even trigger press, it has few equals.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    There was this guy named Pat who did a lot of good work with a model 10. I'm a fan.
    And another guy named Jim from the same town had one too

Site Supporter
    I have owned at least a dozen M10’s. One reason is that they were the cheapest model and readily available. Never did I buy a poor specimen. All shot to point of aim. Today $350 is Kel Tec money. Have you bought this gem yet?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have owned at least a dozen M10’s. One reason is that they were the cheapest model and readily available. Never did I buy a poor specimen. All shot to point of aim. Today $350 is Kel Tec money. Have you bought this gem yet?
    Or shield money.

I have 2 M10s a heavy barrel on a pencil barrel. The pencil barrel is my favorite, after thousands of rounds from me and a unknown amount before I had it. I had to replace the hammer nose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

User Tag List