Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson M10

Smith and Wesson M10

I was at my local mom and pop gunstore and looking at the pistols and I seen a model m10. The pistol looks like it has never been in a holster ever and the blueing ( actual looked more black) was all shiny and nice. It looked like a very nice pistol 4 inch barrel firing pin on the hammer. I thought it might be a nice little gun to play around with, also my daughter who just turned 21 is trying to get her permit so I thought it might be a nice gun for her to shoot as well. The nice thing is all he wanted was $350 for it which seems to be a good price I think. I am in the beginning stages of pistol ownership. I have bought 7 in the 2 years of my permit. It an addiction. Anyhow is this a good pistol for shooting and is the price about right, any comments would be very welcome.

Site Supporter
    I don't know about the price as I haven't purchased an M10 since they were commonly available for $200ish, but based on your description, it sounds like a solid deal.

As far as shooting goes, they're good, solid guns. You could do a lot worse with your $350. The biggest issue will be the fixed sights and POI with various loads. Find one that shoots to POA and you're good to go.

What "dash number" (engineering revision) is it? Heavy barrel or pencil barrel?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I don't know about the price as I haven't purchased an M10 since they were commonly available for $200ish, but based on your description, it sounds like a solid deal.

As far as shooting goes, they're good, solid guns. You could do a lot worse with your $350. The biggest issue will be the fixed sights and POI with various loads. Find one that shoots to POA and you're good to go.

What "dash number" (engineering revision) is it? Heavy barrel or pencil barrel?

Chris
    It looked like a pencil barrel it was for sure not a heavy one. The fixed sights had me a little concerned as well. Its hard to believe that police cared them for years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    It looked like a pencil barrel it was for sure not a heavy one. The fixed sights had me a little concerned as well. Its hard to believe that police cared them for years.
    Fixed sights are nothing to be concerned with, just be aware that any random load may or may not shoot to POA. Your best bet will be with loads near standard pressure 158gr solids. Significantly faster loads or those with lighter bullets will have a different POI, but all should be in the ballpark.

They're great guns. The only reason I seldom shoot mine is that I have several others to choose from.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    I've carried both heavy barrel and pencil barrel versions of the 4" M10, the heavy barrel version was my main carry gun for about three years. They're excellent guns, usually more accurate than most autoloaders. As noted above, you'll probably find that it's regulated for 158-grain ammo; lighter bullet weights will impact lower. Cops liked them because they were simple to use and they worked.

Site Supporter
    That should be an excellent gun at a decent price. If I’d seen that deal at my gun shop, there would be a thread with pictures of that gun at my house, along with the other Kframe S&W revolvers I already have.

If it is in very good to excellent condition -- I'd say that is a great price. Check carry-up and other mechanicals. Should be a fine shooting revolver. I have an affinity for K frame Smiths and K frame sized Rugers. You can't have too many. They won't lose value if you care for them.

$350 is a good price for a solid K frame S&W, provided the mechanicals are sound.

I'd jump on it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

There was this guy named Pat who did a lot of good work with a model 10. I'm a fan.

However, if you have so many different guns that you can't decide what to carry, or you show up to the range with more than two guns, you might consider thinning the herd. Focusing on one thing for at least six months (both for carry and at the range) is an approach that's worked for me.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Smith and Wesson M10

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That should be an excellent gun at a decent price. If I’d seen that deal at my gun shop, there would be a thread with pictures of that gun at my house, along with the other Kframe S&W revolvers I already have.
    Ayup. I’d be on that like it was made of chocolate.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 05-23-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List