Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson M10

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And another guy named Jim from the same town had one too
    It's almost as if six rounds of .38 is adequate to most tasks. Of course, it helps to be as good as those two dudes were. Requiescat in duritia.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Or shield money.

I have 2 M10s a heavy barrel on a pencil barrel. The pencil barrel is my favorite, after thousands of rounds from me and a unknown amount before I had it. I had to replace the hammer nose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    And that right there is basically the reason the 4" revolver is going to be just a notch above the single action revolver and the cap and ball in terms of being a defensive arm.

Ten years ago, I would to tell people that there is absolutely no need to buy a Taurus when you could get a model 10 for two bills. Now, they're more expensive than that, but Palmetto State Armory was just running a sale on M&P shields for 250 bucks. You can get used Glock 17s for 350 bucks.

So there's still no need to buy a Taurus, it's just because you can buy the Shield or the next generation of police trade ins, which are chambered in a better caliber, with more bullets, with an easier to shoot system, better sights, and the ability to carry extra ammo in a low profile fashion. It's a great time to get good deals on guns, but it does make me sad to see the venerable old model 10s to be more expensive than Glock 17s or Smith M&Ps now

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 05-24-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Google "revolver checkout" and you'll find all you need to know in checking one for faults.
    I think this is the most updated version:
    Revolver Checkout by Jim March | Day At The Range

EDIT: I think this link goes to the .pdf: https://tinyurl.com/revocheck
    Last edited by Drang; 05-24-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    It looked like a pencil barrel it was for sure not a heavy one. The fixed sights had me a little concerned as well. Its hard to believe that police cared them for years.
    The cops that could shoot tore ass with those M&Ps and those that couldn't didn't. Just like today...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The cops that could shoot tore ass with those M&Ps and those that couldn't didn't. Just like today...
    I absolutely love taking a shooter to the range that has never fired a sweet old Smith or Colt wheelgun. You hand them a revolver made 60-ish years ago, and watch them just stack holes. The look as their face lights up is worth it.

There's a reason I'm usually bringing home another old revolver every month. It's because they are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Jim Cirillo and a bunch of other guys in the stakeout unit were issued Smith model 10s and 158 gr LSWC ammo. They sure dropped a number of criminals in their day.
    Wasn't the legend that Cirillo would use his bull barrel PPC gun on stakeout duty?

Dunno about the legend, but Jim Cirillo told me he generally carried two four-inch Model 10s, a heavy barrel and a pencil barrel, plus his ever-present two-inch Colt Cobra with hammer shroud when working stakeout.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    It looked like a pencil barrel it was for sure not a heavy one. The fixed sights had me a little concerned as well. Its hard to believe that police cared them for years.
    I carried my fixed-sight Model 58 M&P voluntarily, on and off the clock, from 1984, until it its action became too loose for me to feel OK shooting it, about 1991. Yes, “M&P” meant a fixed-sight revolver, back then. This sixgun was scary-accurate. Fixed sights that are properly regulated are as good as anything out there. Why should I not want to carry such a weapon, for years?

The adjustable rear sights, on the revolvers I carried on duty from 1984 to 1985, and from 1993 to 1997, “had me a little concerned.”

I remember seeing a colleague drop an S&W Model 686, at the start of a building search, in early 1984. It landed on the rear sight, and the blade broke. Fixed-sight revolvers remain relevant, for a reason.

Like most LEOs in the USA, I owned all of my duty handguns, within guidelines.

My newest weapon purchase is a S&W Model 64-2, 2” barrel. Fixed sight. Just right. Unless there is something found to be wrong with it, I will probably carry it until my gun-carrying days are over.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-25-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It's almost as if six rounds of .38 is adequate to most tasks. Of course, it helps to be as good as those two dudes were. Requiescat in duritia.
    What Mas said, plus an M-1 carbine.

Plus Pat had the luck of the Irish ;-). Allegedly “the luck of the Irish” included taping $20 bills to the soles of your feet to make sure you meet the height requirement.

Back on track, if a 6 shot Revolver meets your needs a M-10 is a fine choice. I have a 1972-ish vintage M10 heavy barrel I bought from a retired NYPD co-worker. Hitting B/C steel at 65 yards with it is no problem.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-25-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Wasn't the legend that Cirillo would use his bull barrel PPC gun on stakeout duty?
    What MAS said plus an M-1 carbine.

His partner Bill Allard used a 1911 as back up to the .38 that was his official primary. If I recall correct it was a National Match or a Gold Cup. Might be what you are thinking of. NYPDs back up gun rules were a lot looser back then. Carrying a 1911 or BHP as a “back up” to a .38 Revolver was not unheard of.

User Tag List