Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk barrel length and finish question

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    My heart and mind both say 4 5/8" blue because it has more soul.
    I agree. Difference in length will not effect ballistics. However, some states may require the longer barrel for use in hunting.

Cool

Minimum in Washington state is 4" so I'm good with my 4 5/8" stainless...

Best, Jon

Thanks everyone!

I have decided that I want the Stainless 5.5.

Now I have to decide if I will really get any use out of it or if it is more of a cool factor toy.

I have been unloading/thinning out my stuff recently and it feels kind of nice to simplify.

But having a new toy....

I prefer the 5.5" barrels myself.

A Blackhawk is a good all around handgun. I've been shooting single action since I was a little kid and have always had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Honestly, for Tennessee summer, I’d get the stainless 4 5/8". You can always get it cerakoted or some such ionbond down the road for a unique piece if you grow tired of the in the raw look. JMO.

Also, look at Barranti leather

Those pics are going to cost me $130.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Those pics are going to cost me $130.
    Yeah. That’s just the tax one pays for digging both SAs, and IWB holsters. No off-the-rack kydex for the wicked...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I've got both. The 4 5/8" is only a tad shorter but it's about 95% easier to pack in the field. The 5.5, unless you're a huge guy, will be digging its barrel into the dirt if you sit down in the woods anywhere.

I love my stainless one but the loading latch is a lot stiffer and rougher and more difficult to open. I'm going to try getting a softer spring for the latch. Blued rugers tend to be smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by CTX44 View Post
    I've got both. The 4 5/8" is only a tad shorter but it's about 95% easier to pack in the field. The 5.5, unless you're a huge guy, will be digging its barrel into the dirt if you sit down in the woods anywhere.

I love my stainless one but the loading latch is a lot stiffer and rougher and more difficult to open. I'm going to try getting a softer spring for the latch. Blued rugers tend to be smoother.
    I am definitely NOT a huge guy.

You bring up yet another good point.

Thank you.

I would be spending quite a bit of time sitting in a SXS with this thing on and having it digging into my ribs or popping out of the holster wouldn't be much fun.

If I go 5.5, I might need to look at a crossdraw style rig.

I wish someone around here had some that I could check. I went gun scouting yesterday but didn't see any. Only one shop had a couple of Single Sixes and a Rough Rider.

Almost everything around here is black plastic bottom feeders, only one place has any number of revolvers and they are almost all S&W/Ruger.

Ive had a number of 4 5/8" guns, they carry very nicely. Ive literally forgot I had them on on many occasions after wearing them in the mountains or cutting firewood all day, in and out of the truck, sitting in chairs, whatever. I carried them mostly in threepersons type holsters, a Lawrence 120 I believe.

I had one 5 1/2" 44, I carried it some, but didnt warm up to it compared to the 4 5/8" guns. I had it cut to 4 5/8" and feel it was money well spent, otherwise it would have sat around unused for the most part.

A 45 Vaquero with the Lawrence 120 holster.
    Name:  IMG_1062.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  47.1 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-05-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Flattops weren't available when I obtained a 4 5/8 Stainless New Vaquero 45 Colt. For me the size, balance and weight (39 ozs) seemed perfect but my 5 1/2 Super Blackhawk seemed barrel heavy and more problematic to carry. However, the big downside of the NV was shooting in bright sunlight with those freaking fixed sights. I rubbed off the shine on the entire gun with Scotchbrite, opened the rear sight channel and narrowed the front sight. The rear sight channel (most of the top of the receiver) was painted flat black and the front sight orange. It took a year to get it where I like it but it was a struggle. Had there been a Flattop in 45 Colt with adjustable sights I would have jumped on it. I didn't come around to preferring blued guns for shooting until after the NV experience.

User Tag List