Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk barrel length and finish question

Blackhawk barrel length and finish question

I realize this is probably more of an individual question that I should answer myself but I thought I would ask the group who likely have more experience than I do and could lend some insight.

I am getting ready to purchase myself a Ruger Blackhawk Lipsey's Flattop convertible in 45C/45ACP.

I am stuck on trying to decide between the 4 5/8th and the 5.5 barrel length and the finish.

Finish:

I like the stainless because it is easy to care for and I wouldn't be as "particular" with it, but I don't like the look as much. It doesn't really have as much "soul" as a blued one.

I like the blued for looks, especially if I pair it with some elk horn grips but it will be more susceptible to the elements and I know I will wind up babying it like I do all my other pretty guns.

Which would you choose, and why?

Barrel length:

I like the looks of the 5.5 more. I also like the slightly better balance. But it is nearly as long as my old S&W 686 Power Port which doesn't get carried much due to it's length.

I had flattop 357/9mm that I just got rid of that had the shorter barrel and I didn't really care for the balance. But I believe the 45 will have a different balance. (It was the stainless version)

I have an old Single Six with 5.5 barrel that I really love but it really isn't apples to apples comparison since it is much smaller.

I do want to be able to use this, not just as a range toy. It will likely get used often riding around in the woods on my SXS and it will likely get used as a anti-snake tool when my brother and I go wandering in creeks. I think I would feel more comfortable with a 45 Colt snake shot and a few follow ups than my G19 and a sometimes feed when an aggressive cotton mouth decides he wants to try and slither up my leg.

So what says the group?

My mind says Stainless 4 5/8th but my heart says Blued 5.5.

No, unfortunately, I can't do both.

I had a similar decision to make back when I bought a (then) limited edition .45 Colt/.45 ACP Ruger convertible way back in 1994.

I promptly sent it to Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision in Georgia, where he performed his "Accu-throating" procedure, adjusted the barrel/cylinder gap, headspace, and cylinder end play, recut the forcing cone, recrowned the barrel, and performed a stellar trigger job on the revolver and lightened the hammer, resulting a very, very sweet shooting "packin' pistol".

I have carried and shot the revolver on and off over the past 25 years without a hitch.

I purchased 4 5/8" model in stainless, as I intended pack the gun while getting in and out of Jeeps, ATV's, and UTV's, and have done exactly that. It still looks near new.

But . . . . . I think the 5 1/2" models in blue look prettier, so I guess I'm no help, now that I think about it!!

I like how shorter barrels handle. Longer barrels hang better and seem to shoot better. I always go for shorter barrels myself.

My blued 4 5/8 .45 Colt handles well. Even with the aluminum grip frame. It's also my most carried handgun in harsh conditions. It's been on multiple month + canoe/backpacking trips. Sure some bluing is worn but there's no pitting and it still shoots like a laser.

My heart and mind both say 4 5/8" blue because it has more soul.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My blued 4 5/8 .45 Colt handles well. Even with the aluminum grip frame.
    Is the blue one a couple ounces lighter? Might be a factor if you can't decide

I actually have a 4 5/8" 357 and a 5 1/2" 45LC flattop. These Lipsey's flattops (stainless and blued) are built on steel XR3 grip frames, same as the New Vaquero.

I greatly prefer the 5 1/2" 45. Balances better because of the thinner barrel and I shoot a longer sight radius better. It could be my imagination, but I think the 5 1/2" is less flippy and blasty than a 4 5/8" with full boogie loads. I have a 4 5/8" 45LC New Vaquero to compare.

I carry a revolver in a pretty high ride holster to get the cylinder mostly above the belt line and the longer barrel guns carry a lot better. Same as a government vs commander 1911 to me.

All single action revolvers should be blued with wood, bone, or horn grips.
    Last edited by M2CattleCo; 05-23-2019 at 06:28 AM.

I prefer stainless for a wilderness/hunting revolver, but blued really isn't that hard to take care of, either. A good wipe-down with a Sentry Solutions impregnated cloth applies a good protectant weather barrier to the blueing.

In terms of aesthetics, I prefer a 4.62" barrel, while on a fixed-sight Vaquero I prefer it in the 5.5" barrel. Both just seem "right" to me.

Best, Jon

From a practical (objective) standpoint, the stainless guns make (user performed) sight changes pretty straight forward since the front sight blade is pinned. The blued guns have the sight blade constructed integral with the base, so any changes must involve the entire front sight body - which is usually soldered in place.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 05-23-2019 at 07:54 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    From a practical (objective) standpoint, the stainless guns make (user performed) sight changes pretty straight forward since the front sight blade is pinned. The blued guns have the sight blade constructed integral with the base, so any changes must involve the entire front sight body - which is usually soldered in place.
    Gads, am I glad I read this before I ever inadvertently bought one ASSuming the sight was pinned...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-23-2019 at 08:06 AM.

I currently have two medium frame flattop Blackhawks, and both are blued, 4 5/8", and dead sexy. JMO, for my own money.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List