Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Viking Tactical... worst sights ever?

Viking Tactics*

I had a chance to hold a gun with them on it and the idea makes more sense once you hold them, but I could not see them in bright sunlight. The FO tubes do light up well and I suspect that in low light the tritium would take over, but for the random overcast days in PA I think there will be 6 dots.

I did really like the idea of the tapered front sight, but shooting and fondling could yield drastically different results. As someone who thought Kyle Lamb was full of it at first, I will have to rely on his expertise and assume these fill a need for someone with a mission that differs greatly from mine. I can only hope to see them on the range some time and actually shoot the gun.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

FWIW- I talked to Jerry Miculek at NRAAM about the sights. He told me they were a damn good idea and he wished he'd though of it.

Sights are an extreme personal preference item which is one of the reasons there are eleventy-billion different sight options out there and a new sight option seems to pop up every other day.

Yes, Kyle's sight looks pretty busy, but if it works well for him and some other people that is enough to make it a viable option to have out there.

Dave Harrington had a similar front sight concept a few years back as well. His front sight looked like a snowman though.. with a night sight on the bottom and a smaller fiber optic on top. For a rear sight is was a ghost ring with a piece cut out of the top, kinda looked like a claw. The concept was the tritium would be centered in the rear sight "ring" area for using the night sight and really fast shooting, with the fiber optic being centered in the "claw" piece for more precision. I believe the name was Advanced Speed Sight or something.

Of course with it being designed by The Predator it was very different, but an interesting concept nonetheless. It seems Kyle Lamb is coming from a similar approach and made a working design.

Resurrection!

Shot a VTAC M&P today with these sights. Late to the party, I know. They worked just fine for me, though my time with them was limited, as was the environment. As I've previously mentioned, I am fairly insensitive to most variations in sights, so take that into account. I liked the thin top of the front sight, but wasn't crazy about the taper. I know why it does taper, but I do prefer a consistent, narrow width front sight. The rear sight didn't distract me at all, and in the light I was shooting in, I could see all six dots. My speed and accuracy were exactly the same as with my normal sights, so at least for me, I don't think the extra dots are a problem. I'm not going to put them on any of my guns at this time, but they did tempt me to go get a VTAC M&P.

Just fingered a gun with them today. With the FO and tritium they are awful and waaaay too busy. Plain black I might like.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I like the VTAC sights--they work as advertised.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I think these would be ideal if they removed the fiber from the rear sight, and put very low profile trijicon inserts in both the front and rear sight that would only stand out in low light.

How does the accuracy change, if at all, when you switch to night sights?
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    How does the accuracy change, if at all, when you switch to night sights?
    Different hold points. Think of the variation between drive the dot, combat hold, and six o'clock. It "can" change the relationship between POA / POI.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List