Thread: Umarex/Walther/Hammerli TAC R1 .22 AR?

Umarex/Walther/Hammerli TAC R1 .22 AR?

I didn't know about these until a couple of hours ago when I stopped into a local place with one on the wall:

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...x?item=5760500

Anyone here fooled around with one or know anything about them? Are they worth a hoot? What about the mags? Are they the Black Dog style or like the kind that came with my CMMG kit (which may be the same, IDK)?

I'm a sucker for reasonably priced .22s, I don't have a dedicated .22 AR and the shop is having a 20% off sale which would put it in my hands for ~$300 OTD...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    The S&W .22 ARs have been around for years and are proven. Might take a look at those for comparison. I have one and it has never missed a beat.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

I’ve never heard anything good especially compared to the S&W 15-22. If I had some coin to drop, the Tippmann offerings are impressive.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I thought the S&W .22s still had a trigger issue. Any links to update me?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I thought the S&W .22s still had a trigger issue. Any links to update me?
    The Appleseed “issue” or something else? Just curious as to what you are referring to, I’ve got no horse in this race.

Site Supporter
    The S&W is proven. Recall or no the have the best 22LR mag system for the AR. So good Boonie Packer makes an adapter to use S&W mags with CMMG style guns and conversions.

The Tippmanns are also promising.

There are several Walther / Umarex .22 AR clones - they all function poorly and don’t have the same manual of arms as a real AR so they are of minimal value as trainers.

I'm a gunsmith by profession. I have been inside of these. I refuse to work on them AT ALL, nor will any other true gunsmith I know. There is nothing inside of it that resembles an AR. The S&W is a much superior firearm that will serve well as a plinker, Umarex ARs are zinc turds that only look cool on the gunshop wall.

The S&W AR 22s work real well. if you have to have a tougher gun than the S&W, you build a real dedicated 22 AR w/ a CMMG bolt/barrel.

Thanks, this is why I don't impulse buy very often anymore. Or a least I try not to...

Thanks @HCM, I didn't know about that mag adapter. It's now on my wish list at Brownells. I hope to be able to put some more rounds through my CMMG conversion kit tomorrow and decide if I'm going to stick with that or just go ahead and pick up a barrel to build a dedicated .22 upper.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I'm a gunsmith by profession. I have been inside of these. I refuse to work on them AT ALL, nor will any other true gunsmith I know. There is nothing inside of it that resembles an AR. The S&W is a much superior firearm that will serve well as a plinker, Umarex ARs are zinc turds that only look cool on the gunshop wall.

The S&W AR 22s work real well. if you have to have a tougher gun than the S&W, you build a real dedicated 22 AR w/ a CMMG bolt/barrel.
    Hi. I was looking into the Hammerli TAC R1 22 and came across this forum. I was just wondering what parts you were referring to as zinc. The Hammerli arms website says the upper and lower receiver are aluminum.

User Tag List