Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger single shot rifles?

Tasty!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

One of these days I’d like to have a Number 1 in a caliber that makes no real sense for my wold. Perhaps 357 Magnum or 22 Hornet. Then, off to this gent for a make over:

http://www.rjrenner.com/
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    I've always thought the Ruger No. 1 was the coolest rifle ever made. After a lifetime of putting one off, a friend beat me to it. He then realized that he had no use for such a thing in an oddball chambering, having up reloading decades ago, so it just sat in the safe. Knowing my tastes, he offered it to me and I jumped on it! Chambered in 9.3x74mmR, I get to simultaneously indulge my lifetime infatuation with handloading, single-shots, under lever falling blocks, tapered and rimmed cases, blued steel, wood stocks, and finding balance in recoil/power. Speaking of power, 9.3x74mmR falls a hair shy of 375 Flanged Magnum on ballistic charts:

Compared with a diminutive 30-06.

The interim buttcuff is here for a while. Still need to clear bullet molds, new rear sight, test 2.5x glass, rings for the glass, more powder, a pile more brass, and a few orders more 285 grain Prvi JSP off the to-do list before a proper leather buttcuff is on deck. I did at least order up a genuine zebra hide inlay sling with thumb hole as my first order of business.

As for the current state of handloading, 285 grain Prvi jacketed soft points in Norma brass over the following charges of IMR 4350. COAL set to case mouth just tickling the top of the crimp groove. No pressure signs:

60 grains* - 2,011 FPS

61 grains* - 2,129 FPS

62 grains - 2,244 FPS

63 grains - 2,256 FPS

64 grains - 2,252 FPS

I'll likely wind up playing around ~62 grain loads to save powder and keep pressures mellow. Results are about as expected. The guys breaking 2,300 FPS in the relatively short barrel of the No. 1 seem to run compressed 64.X grain loads of 4350. I'll also push a bit higher for a one-off because I can but that 62 grain load cranked out 3,186 foot pounds of muzzle energy as-is (900 foot pounds more energy than the 180 grain 308 Win. a friend was shooting the same day). Now that I'm neck-sizing and have more blown out case capacities, need to revisit load development and probably have to up the charge a bit.

Recoil was perfectly controllable/enjoyable in all loads. I'm really digging this cartridge and rifle more every time I shoot it. While recoil is heavier than the 232 grain Vulkans, it is stil just a healthy shove and much less than you'd expect. I can hand any of the 285 grain loads to my son and he's fine. My daughter doesn't care for the heavy thumper despite being absolutely enamored with her Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster.

By next hunting season, I untend to have a final load for the 285 grain Prvi, have tested and selected between a rear Skinner peep and low power Leupold scope, developed a ~300 grain cast lead (powder coated, lubed with homemade grease recipe, and gas checked) load, and enter the state's moose lottery.

* Very slick extraction and blackened case necks. The chamber pressure was obviously rather low.
    You've been holding out on us.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

My most-recently-added Number 1, .357 Magnum. Image by the dealer, Collectors Firearms.

My others are .375 H&H and .45-70 Government. This one is kinder and gentler, for my twilight years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-11-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Working the action on these produces a very satisfying "click open, click shut" sound and feel that I enjoy.
    It's entertaining to work on quick, efficient reloads with a single shot gun. Same with revolvers.

They seem to be a popular choice with people who like oddball cartridges.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 11-11-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Long time ago I had a #3 in 45-70. Beautiful little rifle but I bet you can imagine what that was like to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    My most-recently-added Number 1, .357 Magnum...
    Oh man, the thought of such a thing with the chamber reamed to take 357 Maximum has me itching. give it a mannlicher forend while I'm dreaming.

I might be a bad friend. Buddy, one with the recent Contender/Encore infatuation, swung by and told me about the 45-70 No. 1 on the gunstore's rack. He shook his head while telling me that he'd put it back down. Previous owner chopped the barrel to a bit over 16" and trimmed the buttstock. I asked him what could possibly be more American that a sawn-off 45-70 and mentioned that he is an inveterate tinkerer who would have dickered with the gun, anyway. Plus the gun is now 4"+ shorter and likely a pound lighter to make it right handy.

He countered that recoil would be increased. So I replied that he always thought mercury vials in shotgun and safari rifle stocks were cool and he has some as a solution should the light weight be a problem. He said he had to go and went back to his car. Then back to my door to call me some select names. Turns out his phone was in the car and he'd called the shop to tuck the Ruger behind the counter for him.

Now to convince him that he needs a round ball mold and jug of Trail Boss for traditionalish lead-saving fun loads. And maybe whisper in his ear about reaming to 45-90.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 11-12-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I’ve always thought that a No. 1 with a barrel on the shorter side and a Mannlicher-style forearm would be neat.
    I completely agree with you. Here's mine in 30-06. Used on a couple of hunts out west for Elk and Mulies. Handles well in the brush. More accurate than I am. I've used it with and without a scope. It's somewhere around 35 years old.

JW
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  BD3CFED2-DD85-49E2-8A23-1F9F3A0E20E8.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  42.6 KB

Ruger No.1 in .300 Win Mag using Hornady 200 grain ELD-X dropped this dude 30 steps from where he stood. Great hunting rifle. Terrible rifle for shooting enjoyment.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List