Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ruger single shot rifles?

Great hunting rifle. Terrible rifle for shooting enjoyment.

I'm assuming that has more to do with yours being a 300 Win Mag. Not bad as in 30-06. JMO.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    But my main hunting rifle is a Browning 1885 Low Wall chambered in .243 Winchester, so there is that.
    Can you say more about this rifle? As it happens, my favorite LGS has the exact same gun—along with six Ruger #1s...

That browning is gorgeous; amazing wood, fit and finish, along with the tapered octagon barrel... it’s just hot looking. Total throwback to a bygone era of craftsmanship.

Plus, .243, plus, lighter than the Rugers, by a fair amount, in the hand.

I’m very curious...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    I might be a bad friend. Buddy, one with the recent Contender/Encore infatuation, swung by and told me about the 45-70 No. 1 on the gunstore's rack. He shook his head while telling me that he'd put it back down. Previous owner chopped the barrel to a bit over 16" and trimmed the buttstock. I asked him what could possibly be more American that a sawn-off 45-70 and mentioned that he is an inveterate tinkerer who would have dickered with the gun, anyway. Plus the gun is now 4"+ shorter and likely a pound lighter to make it right handy.

He countered that recoil would be increased. So I replied that he always thought mercury vials in shotgun and safari rifle stocks were cool and he has some as a solution should the light weight be a problem. He said he had to go and went back to his car. Then back to my door to call me some select names. Turns out his phone was in the car and he'd called the shop to tuck the Ruger behind the counter for him.

Now to convince him that he needs a round ball mold and jug of Trail Boss for traditionalish lead-saving fun loads. And maybe whisper in his ear about reaming to 45-90.
    It would be fun to have enough No. 1 rifles, in .45-70, to be comfortable chopping one to a 16.1”-barreled street-fighter; kind of a glorified howdah pistol.

On a more serious note, re-barreling a No. 1 is not all that difficult for a talented ‘smith, so I have considered having a .45-70 No. 1 re-barreled with a long enough to be appropriate for a 19th-century effect. Some .45-70 No. 1 rifles were made with quite long barrels, but were also fancier than I like, and are collectible enough to be expensive.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    My most-recently-added Number 1, .357 Magnum. Image by the dealer, Collectors Firearms.

My others are .375 H&H and .45-70 Government. This one is kinder and gentler, for my twilight years.
    Should you ever reach a point where you can let go of the .357, I'm local. Just sayin'.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Great hunting rifle. Terrible rifle for shooting enjoyment.

I'm assuming that has more to do with yours being a 300 Win Mag. Not bad as in 30-06. JMO.

JW
    Yea, my WinMag is pleasant to shoot all day. Hers, not so much. But in something a little tamer, I suspect it could be pleasant.

Name:  686A5A8B-9214-4E8E-B09E-B64A2417D0E8.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  65.0 KB
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Name:  686A5A8B-9214-4E8E-B09E-B64A2417D0E8.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  65.0 KB
    I like that cartridge holder! Did you make it or is it a commercial product?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I like that cartridge holder! Did you make it or is it a commercial product?
    Me too. That would be the bee's knees on my Encore.

Chris

Cool

so, 30-40 enthusiasts...

I'll just leave this right here

1976 No 3 rifle in 30-40 Krag, currently $899

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/844173442

If this gets anyone in trouble with their spouse, I apologize.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 11-19-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I like single-shot rifles

Buddy finally picked up the roughly shortened No. 1 in 45-70. He says it works great and the scope was already zeroed with the ammo he picked up. I got to fiddle with it a bit in the driveway and sucker is plum handy. He's considering trimming a couple more inches off the muzzle to get around 18" and be that much lighter/handier. I'm not sure I'd want to dump many full power loads through something as light as that would be. But am sure I want him to do it. Bet some 350 grain or so cast flat point slugs over a charge of Trail Boss should be awesome in this brush gun project.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 12-03-2019 at 11:30 AM.

User Tag List