Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger single shot rifles?

A clean No1 in .30-06 is perpetually on my list of things I want but it hasn't moved quite far enough up the list to become a must have. I really need to change that...

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I like single-shot rifles, especially the falling block designs
    #Metoo ...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I used to love mine in .45-70 - only hated shooting it! Could have fixed that with smart loads and the right recoil pad, but I was too young and dumb back then to know you could do anything except run a rifle the way it came out of the box.

I've heard plenty of arguments against a single shot for hunting (inability to fire a quick followup shot if game isn't anchored in one shot being the primary), but I haven't fired a round at a living 4-legged creature in over 20 years, and I'm primarily punching holes in paper nowadays, so none of those things matter much to me anymore.

I知 currently deciding on what caliber Number 1 I want to purchase. 357 Magnum, 30/30 Winchester, 303 British, 6.5 Creedmoor. Odd choices, I know, but this would be for fun, maybe limited hunting, thus the odd caliber thoughts.

When I get it, I値l send it here for his English remodel:

http://www.rjrenner.com/ruger-no.1.html
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Site Supporter
    Nice! I vote for .30-30, and have it re-chambered for .30-30 Ackley Improved.

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post

Oh my...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Oh my...
    IKR!

I'm really liking that Germanic treatment. I have a thing for Schnabel forends.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    I知 currently deciding on what caliber Number 1 I want to purchase. 357 Magnum, 30/30 Winchester, 303 British, 6.5 Creedmoor. Odd choices, I know, but this would be for fun, maybe limited hunting, thus the odd caliber thoughts.

I'd vote for .303 or 6.5. However, I'd be remiss not to mention 6.5x55 again-- almost all of the antiquity of the .303 and the ballistics if the 6.5 C!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    IKR!

I'm really liking that Germanic treatment. I have a thing for Schnabel forends.

Chris
    You and me both. Any one of the variants would be fab in .303 British or 6.5 Swedish, too.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    You and me both. Any one of the variants would be fab in .303 British or 6.5 Swedish, too.
    I have a Win 70 FWT in 6.5 Swede. It's heavier than I'd like for a "Featherweight" rifle, but the lines are perfect (Schnabel forend too!). The only way it could be better would be to have the little English cheekrest and a set of open sights.

Chris

I am a big fan of 6.5x55. I hunted with a nicely sporterized Swedish Mauser Model 38 for many years.

Update: I suddenly, and for no explicable reason other than I can, added 22 Hornet to the list.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

User Tag List