Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger single shot rifles?

Ruger single shot rifles?

Does anyone have experience with the Ruger single shots? I stumbled across a No. 3 in .223 with an old Weaver K-6 this weekend. My grandpa had one in .22 Hornet. It's pretty tempting.

Site Supporter
    No personal experience, but from what I've read they're pretty sweet. I've always wanted one in .30-40 Krag, because reasons.

I've killed a pick-up truck load of deer with a No.1-A Light Sporter in 7 x 57 and only recorded one miss with that rifle. They aren't known for being particularly accurate and the factory trigger isn't anything to write home about, but the handling characteristics and the "cool/nostalgia" factor is pretty high.

The No.3 was a more utilitarian version and it was chambered in some interesting cartridges that didn't sell particularly well. Now they seem to bring a premium and I don't see many being offered for sale around my parts.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 05-22-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I have three of the No. 1 rifles, but have only fired one of them, and that has been some number of years ago. One of them is a very recent purchase, a stainless version, with the gray laminated wood stock, which I plan to use as a shooter/walkabout rifle, if/when I finally get around to walking-about with rifles. I would like to find a place to trek across a stretch of western USA public land, with a single-shot rifle, a single-action sixgun, a dog or two, and light camping gear, if my knees and feet will allow it. I do not see a need to dress the 19th Century part, or that my rifle be blued, with a walnut stock.

The blued No. 1 rifles tend to have quite beautiful wood.

As I remember it, the No. 1 is spec’ed heavier in weight than the No. 3. The No. 1, as I recall, controls recoil very well, for me. Depending upon the cartridge, a No. 3 can deliver quite a thump, with the OEM stock. I have never fired a No. 3.

I wish I could be more helpful, but my readin’ on the Nos. 1 and 3 is a bit out-or-date.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-22-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I like single-shot rifles, especially the falling block designs, so I am sucker for the Ruger #1 and #3. The #3 is a budget #1 with no stock checkering, less metal polish, and a less labor-intensive stock finishing process. The #1 sights are better than the #3 versions and the levers to work the action are a bit different. The #3 was offered in .22 Hornet, .223 Remington, .30-40 Krag, .375 Win, .44 Mag, and 45-70 Govt. I have only seen the .22 Hornet and .45-70 rifles. I would grab it as it can always be rebarreled or rechambered to another cartridge. But my main hunting rifle is a Browning 1885 Low Wall chambered in .243 Winchester, so there is that.

I sure like 'em. Got one in 375 H&H, .222 and one in 500 NE. The latter was converted by SSK Industries many years ago.

Name:  P1030050 full .jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  20.4 KB

Name:  P1030050 carts .jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  50.3 KB

Site Supporter
    I bought s No. 1B in .270 Win in 1992. It was my first centerfire rifle and still one of my most prized possessions. I hunt with it every year, and I've yet to feel a need to buy any other hunting rifle. A few years ago I bought a 1A in .270 Win for my dad. If I were putting together a custom rifle, just the wood in that 1A would have cost more than what I paid for the complete rifle. It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of the guns. If you buy one, I think you'll be pleased. I'd love a 1A in 6.5x55...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The only one I’ve fired was a No 1 in 6mm Remington. Beautiful wood, well-balanced, just a nice rifle.

I have a .30-40 No 3 and a .25-'06 No 1

My father really liked the No 1 and No 3 rifles, and both of mine came from him. My father liked the No 1 for hunting purposes, because it gave you a much shorter rifle. He had no problems, mechanical or otherwise, from both rifles. The No 1 is a much classier rifle, but the No 3 is not what I would call plain.

Ruger #3s are sweet singles, too. A friend has a couple that I've tried talking him out of. He's not havin' any of it

User Tag List