Thread: What does your range session look like? Post up!

What does your range session look like? Post up!

I want to start a thread to give ideas to those of us whose range sessions have become stale or to introduce new drills to those who may have not been made aware of various fun/challenging drills/tests/shooting challenges. I come across new stuff all the time and enjoy the variety in my practice. I have a few core drills that I track but still very much enjoy shooting new stuff at each session. I want this thread to simply be a list of what your schedule looks like at the session and a few thoughts at the end in summary. No need to post your performance, as each of us are at differing levels and our journals are for that side of things. For example I came across a few drills in a post from @karmapolice that I hadn't ran before and on a few instagram posts, one of which I suspect is a PFer but am not certain. As an example here is my next range plan -

5 yard roundup x1 (ran as a dotw before, search to see course of fire) - warmup

6 in 5 x 1(6 rounds to center com - Azone in my case- in 5 seconds starting at 10 yards and adding yardage with each successful attempt, thanks to karmapolice for the intro and ernest langdon for coming up with it)

Advanced Supertest with reload x1 - same par but with a reload added

Devil drill - draw 3 reload 3 on a b8 @6 yards, 55 or better to pass (from instagram courtesy of granola_gunslinger; suspected pfer?)

5 yard b8 drills that I came up with -

triple nickel course of fire but with two b8's - draw, fire two rounds to each be, alternating between them for 10 round(5 pairs) with a reload between the first and last target, 5 second par x1

same but with singles instead of doubles, transitioning after each shot x1

Modern samurai project Black belt patch standard x1- search for course of fire

Keepers test x3 (3 to a 3x5 at 7)

Advanced Supertest normal variant x1

I'd like commentary limited to questions about courses of fire etc...and keep thanks to pm, likes, etc...essentially creating a rolodex of drills and in the pocket range sessions for those who would benefit from it.

I look forward to seeing what you guys are up to and getting ideas from you.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

3 FASTs shot cold. Use the results to determine what to work on. Unfortunately these days, everything needs work.

Slow fire 3" dots at 13 yards. These are one shot from the holster with no time limit. 6 shots at each dot. 3 or 4 strings of this. Good for trigger control.

A couple of generic drills from the holster. Depending on time and ammo, I'll run 2-4 of these.
    1: 2 shots on 4" dots at 7 yards,
    2: A drill with differing shot counts on a 8"circle at 7 yards. First is one shot, second is 2, 3rd is 3, forth is 4, then ramp back down, ie. 3,2,1. Do this 3 times. The tendancy is to try to improve the times on subsequent runs.
    3: Garcia Dots at 7 yards.
    4: Defoor pistol test
    5: Old FAM test

I always end with 7 yard photo realistic targets with hit zones of the eye box and cardiac triangle lightly drawn on with pencil. I will do failure drills (2 body, one head) on these with 360 scan and a mag change before reholstering.

If I have time and ammo, I will shoot 2 shots at 4" dots at 7 yards with my LCP, drawing from a pocket holster. I'll also shoot failure drills at the photo realistic targets with it.

In the past, when I was competing regularly, I would plan out all the drills beforehand, based on what needed improvement as shown by a previous match or practice. I also was part of a weekly IDPA practice group that ran drills.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Hammertime
    25 yard bullseye on a B8 for ten round score. Sometimes continue for 500 Aggregate 50 round course of fire.

Dot Torture at 5-7

Multiple Advanced Super Tests

Draw to 1 or to Finding your Level at 5 or 7 yards

Garcia Dot drill at 5 or seven yards.

Coming week practice plan

5 yard round up
    Dotw
    Point 1 tactics drill #18 (bill to headbox, reload 3 sho to lower A @10)
    99 drill
    Gabe White Standards

12 shot warmup
    BDF drill x5
    Steel array
    Reload super test

For the weekend -

12 round warm up
    Stoplight
    Sweet 16
    BDF x3
    FAST x3
    10 in 10 All Hands x3

I've been digging the 12 round warmup alot. The stoplight to get some sho/who in prior to the dotw. Sweet 16 to work on precision. BDF to break out of pure precision mode but still keep some tight shots. FAST because I simply haven't ran it in a bit. Finish with the dotw.

Depends on what I was the worst at last time I shot.

If I am getting smooth at something from last session I probably won’t include that at all this time.

User Tag List