Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aggressive or smooth grips?

Aggressive or smooth grips?

I'm getting ready to order another set of VZ grips for my m66. The pachymers are fine for carry but they don't make shooting all that fun.

I have the tactical diamonds on my m19 and my wife has the square butt 320s on her M15. I prefer the agressive checkering but have heard enough very knowledgeable guys prefer smooth. Am I missing something?

Why do you prefer one over the other? My buddy has the tactical diamonds on his PC M19c and they sure feel good. I wish I had so.e round butt 320s to compare while shooting.

Anybody know if they run memorial day sales?

I have some SB K frame tactical diamonds. If your gun takes them I'll send them to you for trial.

If you like them, send me a check. If you don't, just send them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I have some SB K frame tactical diamonds. If your gun takes them I'll send them to you for trial.

If you like them, send me a check. If you don't, just send them back.
    I think you sent me a PM regarding them. I'm looking at roundbutts currently but thank you!!!

Phrasing???

It depends on what you want them for. I have two sets of grips for my double-action field revolvers--one smooth and the other checkered. I find the smooth grips much easier to live with when shooting high volumes at the range, particularly with guns that have substantial recoil; I find the checkered grips work very well when my hands are sweaty or wet, so I tend to use those when out in the field when I likely will not be shooting more than a few rounds.

I have found that, with hard-kicking revolvers, my grip tension is more important than the coarseness of the surface of the grips when it comes to controlling the gun during recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I think you sent me a PM regarding them. I'm looking at roundbutts currently but thank you!!!

Phrasing???
    No worries, I didn't remember which one you needed.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I prefer the agressive checkering but have heard enough very knowledgeable guys prefer smooth. Am I missing something?
    He talks about it more in some other videos. The basic idea is that he can get his hand on it fast and slide it around if needed on the way to the target to make adjustments. It's all about speed. Note that all the grips are the same size - his K grips are the same external dimensions as his N grips.

-----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I've always used fairly aggressive grips for autoloaders, I have a set of Lok diamond checkered G10s on my P01 that are absolutely awesome, they really lock up my hands. I've tried to get on board with smooth grips on revolvers but I just can't, lots of guys say smooth grips don't "tear up your hand" like checkered grips can do under heavy recoil but I feel the opposite. I have a set of Ahrend's smooth tactical grips and while they are by far the nicest set of grips I own they suck for shooting .357s.

Site Supporter

Modified VZ 320s

I don't shoot much magnum ammo from my K frames. That said, I like smooth grips without finger grooves. My knifemaker buddy Kevin Casey used a belt sander to remove the finger grooves from these VZ 320s. From the Big Empty, ELN.

Name:  S&W 19 & 66.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  73.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Pressed checkering is seldom smooth.

I'd pay any price if someone would copy Ahrends' tactical grips in G10 with an ultra aggressive checkering like LOK's Roughnecks.

User Tag List