Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms “Boomer”

Site Supporter
    When my Dad carried in NJ, where hollow points are legally problematic, he did not trust semiautos. The .44 Bulldog (with a front sight) has always struck me as a possible solution to those circumstances.

He normally did carry a Charter Arms Undercover (1980’s version). It was not his most heavily shot gun, but I do not recall any problems. The front sight is among the best I have seen on a snubnose revolver made in the 20th century, although I never shot it and cannot comment on point of aim v. point of impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I passed the quals, back in the day, with a Seecamp LWS-32, when the back-up gun qual was fired at not more than 7 or 10 yards. I do not remember trying this, when all quals had to be fired out to 15 yards.

I finished a qual, one time, out to 25 yards, with no misses, after the front sight of my Colt Stainless Commander was ejected from its mounting hole. (Remember those pre-dovetail days?) A “miss” was anything outside the 8-ring; peripheral hits on the human silhouette were not counted. Yes, I said 25 yards. My group was not impressive, but all the shots were inside the eight-ring. I did, of course, have the hole, where the sight had been, to use as an index point, looking over the top of the slide. Align front sight hole with rear notch, while keeping my arms level with the ground. Done.

I am not, however, being an apologist for Charter Arms. I would, of course, rather have a front sight, or at least something to help index
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I know I'm not the only one old enough to remember when these were custom made by Mag-na-port.

Attachment 38434
    I do, indeed, remember. I owned one, but never shot it. I traded it, not long after I bought it.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I passed the quals, back in the day, with a Seecamp LWS-32, when the back-up gun qual was fired at not more than 7 or 10 yards. I do not remember trying this, when all quals had to be fired out to 15 yards.

I finished a qual, one time, out to 25 yards, with no misses, after the front sight of my Colt Stainless Commander was ejected from its mounting hole. (Remember those pre-dovetail days?) A “miss” was anything outside the 8-ring; peripheral hits on the human silhouette were not counted. Yes, I said 25 yards. My group was not impressive, but all the shots were inside the eight-ring. I did, of course, have the hole, where the sight had been, to use as an index point, looking over the top of the slide. Align front sight hole with rear notch, while keeping my arms level with the ground. Done.

I am not, however, being an apologist for Charter Arms. I would, of course, rather have a front sight, or at least something to help index
    There is a very big difference between having the knowledge and skill to deal with something going wrong (nice work, Rex G), and designing the gun with something really important missing in the first place.

I love my Charter 44 Bulldog (with front sight); and in fact, I did name it "Boomer"...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by J. J. Magnum View Post
    I love my Charter 44 Bulldog (with front sight); and in fact, I did name it "Boomer"...
    The one I owned was a wretched pulsating ball of suck and fail. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Mine stays in the safe. Only reason I still own it is because it’s one of the”Classic” reproductions and it looks cool. It’s got some issues (don’t trust companies that label loadings “Bulldog Safe”... they have no idea what the quality standard at Charter is this week)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    You say that, but I bet you didn't get yours by trading a guy an AMT Hardballer for a Bulldog in a Piggly Wiggly parking lot.

The Bulldog was no prize, but I got the better end of that deal...

edit: typo
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 05-27-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    You say that, but I bet you didn't get yours by trading a guy an AMT Hardballer for a Bulldog in a Piggly Wiggly parking lot.

The Bulldog was no price, but I got the better end of that deal...
    Looking back at our mistakes is the only way we can avoid them in the future[emoji17]

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Looking back at our mistakes is the only way we can avoid them in the future[emoji17]

Every now and then I'm tempted by the double action .22 revolver made by Taurus with the interchangeable .22lr and .22 Mag cylinders. I think about the AMT and the Bulldog and chant "I can't afford guns that cheap" over and over until the urge passes.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List