Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms “Boomer”

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Back in late 2000/early 2001, I was working at an ill-fated little shop called Montague Gunsmithing in west Knoxville, and one of my regular customers carried a Seecamp LWS-32, which was pretty Gucci in those days.

But what was even Gucci-er was that he and a buddy had both put their names on the waiting list and, right before delivery, his buddy crawfished on the deal. My customer wound up buying both guns, and therefore had a pair of sequentially serial numbered LWS-32s, which was about as Gucci as it got in those days.
    I had two at different times, and both worked OK. PITA to take apart IIRC. At that time you were cool if you carried one instead of a more effective Bodyguard as a BUG. I needed all the points I could get so I jumped on the first one I saw in person.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Back in late 2000/early 2001, I was working at an ill-fated little shop called Montague Gunsmithing in west Knoxville, and one of my regular customers carried a Seecamp LWS-32, which was pretty Gucci in those days.

But what was even Gucci-er was that he and a buddy had both put their names on the waiting list and, right before delivery, his buddy crawfished on the deal. My customer wound up buying both guns, and therefore had a pair of sequentially serial numbered LWS-32s, which was about as Gucci as it got in those days.
    I inherited one not long ago when my dad passed. He waited the three years or whatever it took back in the late 90's and always loved that gun even if it rarely got shot. Hopefully he would have appreciated that it was carried at his funeral.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    .... trading a guy an AMT Hardballer for a Bulldog in a Piggly Wiggly parking lot.
    This is like the opening scene of an Elmore Leonard novel right here.
    Or Carl Hiaasen.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

"Whatcha carryin'?"

"A brace of Seecamp LWS-32s. You've probably never heard of it."
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Every now and then I'm tempted by the double action .22 revolver made by Taurus with the interchangeable .22lr and .22 Mag cylinders. I think about the AMT and the Bulldog and chant "I can't afford guns that cheap" over and over until the urge passes.
    Buddy of mine bought a small framed .22 Magnum Taurus recently. He paid next to nothing for it, which is good because the DA is Nagant-level bad. That is, if you bought that gun for your grammaw for a no-kick, but some ballistic performance above .25 ACP gun, she’d probably break her finger trying to get it to fire, and hitting anything while wrassling with that trigger would be a complete fluke.

Nope, can’t afford a gun that cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Buddy of mine bought a small framed .22 Magnum Taurus recently. He paid next to nothing for it, which is good because the DA is Nagant-level bad. That is, if you bought that gun for your grammaw for a no-kick, but some ballistic performance above .25 ACP gun, she’d probably break her finger trying to get it to fire, and hitting anything while wrassling with that trigger would be a complete fluke.

Nope, can’t afford a gun that cheap.
    Right? And then what do you do with it? When I lived in town the LGS stopped trading in Tauri entirely, no sales no trade-ins. They aren't worth enough to fool with selling on Gunbroker. I guess I could try to find some poor sap to buy it from me locally, but most likely it would just sit in my safe as a reminder not to do that again.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 05-27-2019 at 11:44 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Interesting flex naming the product for its target market...
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

The one I owned was a wretched pulsating ball of suck and fail. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Sorry to hear that. Back in the day I wanted one when they first came out, but being a poor college student I had to get something I could afford to shoot. Later it was always on my mind as a "bucket" item, but the inclination and the $$$ never reached critical mass together.

A couple of years ago a close friend acquired one and immediately called me up to see if I was interested. The stars aligned and "Boomer" came home. "Boomer" is an apt name but I can only imagine how much louder the Mag-na-Port version must be.

I remember a movie called "Manhunter" (predecessor to "Silence of the Lambs" - another great revolver movie) where the main character carried a 44 Bulldog in pursuit of a serial killer; it was allegedly loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs. I probably kept that idea in the back of my mind as I waited to be an owner.

"Boomer" has been a frequent woods gun for me and I see no reason to change.

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. Magnum View Post
    I remember a movie called "Manhunter" (predecessor to "Silence of the Lambs" - another great revolver movie) where the main character carried a 44 Bulldog in pursuit of a serial killer; it was allegedly loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs. I probably kept that idea in the back of my mind as I waited to be an owner.
    Slight thread drift.
    You are correct about the movie, the gun and the ammo. They followed what was written in the book and, at that time, that gun/ammo combo was considered by many to be one of the best.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Slight thread drift.
    You are correct about the movie, the gun and the ammo. They followed what was written in the book and, at that time, that gun/ammo combo was considered by many to be one of the best.
    In the mid 90’s after Charter did yet another reorganization I bought a Bulldog and Glasers because of that movie. Unfortunately that particular revolver was a real piece of junk. Not only did it frequently light strike primers shooting double action but the barrel shroud would slowly inch forward shot after shot. Needless to say I sold it (with full disclosure) fairly quickly...

User Tag List