Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: P320 X Five Legion on PreSale

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    How is a P320 with a steel slide and tungsten frame not a metal gun?
    It would be a “metal gun,” in my view, if the frame was all tungsten. SIG has injected tungsten (a clever idea) into the polymer of their frame to achieve their weight target.
    Bob
    9MM: 92 Elite LTT, CenTac
    .45 ACP: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt
    Confederate Civil War reproductions: 1863 Richmond rifle, Spiller and Burr revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The people who are winning with those pistols can win with just about anything of comparable performance from some other maker. There's a lot of "chasing the new hotness" going on.

It's only a matter of time before one of the really good ones wins a national championship with a heavy, striker fired match pistol. Thumbless Korean...…..
    There is a lot of “use the gun that last year’s winner used” going on. As in all sports. But the top guys pick the gun they think they have the best chance of winning with. Hwansik Kim is running a Q5 SF this year, so we’ll see how soon he can win major events with it.

But that’s not my point. At $900+ the X-FIVE Legion will be a fine competition pistol, but it is getting into the price range of the already proven “metal guns.”

In my case, I will probably get one after they are out and the initial sell out is over. It may well end up replacing the P320 full-size build I’m working on now for USPSA Production/IDPA ESP. I only wish SIG had designed for a total weight that would allow it to run in IDPA ESP with the magwell.
    Bob
    Confederate Civil War reproductions: 1863 Richmond rifle, Spiller and Burr revolver

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    Unless the point is to shoot said metal gun in USPSA Production, in which case the p226 SAO is a no-go. The X Five and the steel PPQ are pretty much tailor made for production.
    Exactly. A 1911 style with manual safety is a different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by BobRockefeller View Post
    While I agree the X-FIVE Legion will be a fine competition pistol (the Q5 Match SF is a metal gun), USPSA Production is dominated by the metal CZs and Tanfoglios.

The cool thing about the X-FIVE Legion is that one can compete with, and carry, a very similar trigger and operating system: X-FIVE (Legion or not) in competition, X-COMPACT in the nightstand, and X-CARRY on the hip. All with, or without, optics.
    Indeed. I think both they and Walther are going for the Production / SSP / ESP market. They have an advantage in that these look to be half the cost of a CZ. Plus its DAO (3lb trigger is not a DA to me but whatever) vs. DA/SA or DA with manual safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I think both they and Walther are going for the Production / SSP / ESP market. .
    They are going for carry optics market. Their top sponsored shooters are #1 and #2 in that division respectively, already winning with regular X5 and Q5. CO is the fastest growing division, according to USPSA stats. With CO weight limit now at 45 oz (hence X5 Legion weight) people started to push CZs into that division too. SIG and Walther are trying to protect their turf.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

A good point.

Anybody have any more info about the tungsten infusion dealie with the new frame? Does it have Tungsten inserts hidden here and there in pockets of the polymer (like a tungsten skeleton), or has tungsten powder (is that even a thing?) infused into the polymer at a raw material level, before molding? I'm certainly interested in feeling how the gun balances with the new frame.

I'd also be surprised if these frames ever become avail. separately. Sig's whole Legion marketing scheme is exclusivity. If you want the Legion, but the whole legion. Might soften up the "regular" X-5 market though, as the real gamers make the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by BobRockefeller View Post
    There is a lot of “use the gun that last year’s winner used” going on. As in all sports. But the top guys pick the gun they think they have the best chance of winning with. Hwansik Kim is running a Q5 SF this year, so we’ll see how soon he can win major events with it.

But that’s not my point. At $900+ the X-FIVE Legion will be a fine competition pistol, but it is getting into the price range of the already proven “metal guns.”

In my case, I will probably get one after they are out and the initial sell out is over. It may well end up replacing the P320 full-size build I’m working on now for USPSA Production/IDPA ESP. I only wish SIG had designed for a total weight that would allow it to run in IDPA ESP with the magwell.
    Not even close. By the time you outfit the popular DA/SA metal guns you're looking at 1500-1700 dollars. This pistol offers exceptional value for the dollar, as did the original X5.

Also, plenty of national championships have already been won by striker fired plastic guns. Im not sure why everyone thinks that DA/SA is the ONLY way to go with production class. It makes life easier but its not a replacement for skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Also, plenty of national championships have already been won by striker fired plastic guns. Im not sure why everyone thinks that DA/SA is the ONLY way to go with production class. It makes life easier but its not a replacement for skill.
    It’s the shooter’s skills. But Ben Stoeger has won four out of the last five USPSA Production Division National Championships with a full metal DA/SA (CZ and Tanfo).
    Bob

My wife has been shooting a pair of 320 X5 pistols and really liking them. We got her a pair of the new 320 Legions. She really likes them but has been having sporadic stoppages with both of them, using 115 ball PMC and AE which runs fine in her other X5 pistols.

After a fair amount of trouble shooting, switching slides and recoil springs, the trouble seems to be with the Legion lowers. I have no idea what is going on, but a difference is the Tungsten in the Legion lowers which may change the characteristics of the polymer lowers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List