Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New truck payment

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

New truck payment

...for a truck I don’t even get to drive. Bought it through the business for my dad. He doesn’t haul the Bobcat as much as he used to so no need for a diesel. Not a Lariat but still a nice step up from the basic work trucks we usually buy.

I’m normally a GM guy just because I’ve never had a problem with Silverados. But all the local 2500’s jumped from basic work trucks to loaded LTZ/Denalis with not much in between. Honestly...we own Ford and Chevy in our fleet and one’s not better than the other.

Name:  F37F3997-A48A-48FC-88A3-0B0B968C7556.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  101.6 KB

Nice. I would have gotten Ford over Chevy/GM as well. Was it just more affordable?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Nice. I would have gotten Ford over Chevy/GM as well. Was it just more affordable?
    For the features/options, yes. Ford/Chevy MSRP is pretty comparable, there just wasn’t many mid-tier (LT trim) 2500’s to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    ...for a truck I don’t even get to drive. Bought it through the business for my dad. He doesn’t haul the Bobcat as much as he used to so no need for a diesel. Not a Lariat but still a nice step up from the basic work trucks we usually buy.

I’m normally a GM guy just because I’ve never had a problem with Silverados. But all the local 2500’s jumped from basic work trucks to loaded LTZ/Denalis with not much in between. Honestly...we own Ford and Chevy in our fleet and one’s not better than the other.

There's a reason all the 2500's went loaded..people like you and I, (I have a outside wood burner to heat my house, my truck 2011 GMC Serria is used as my wood hauler) are in the minorty as we actually use them as they were intended..As a friend of mine who at the time owned a Ford dealership told me, when I asked him why he didn't sell more stripped down trucks, his answer was simple.."we don't make any money on them, the more options they have, the more we can charge" Truck like I have, standard cab, rubber floormat, hand crank windows, shift lever to engage the 4 wheel drive, and not a button, the only options are tilt wheel, cruise control, am/fm radio, and air, are rare birds anymore. And when I look at new ones every once in awhile, I'm shocked at the prices..
    Last edited by ralph; 05-22-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Right. My friend managed a Chevy dealership, said there’s no money in the basic trucks. And a basic regular cab long bed hardly costs any less than a mid-level crew cab. Because GM/Ford/Dodge never runs incentives on them. People who need it (businesses) are gonna buy em anyway, so they’re not fighting for your business like they are with upscale models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s plenty of money in stripped down fleet trucks, but that’s a volume and service contract proposition. But most consumer 3/4 ton trucks are glorified groceries getters and so overbuilt for the task there’s not much that will break. Big pickups are largely a fashion statement, there aren’t many low end trucks stocked because they are getting bought as practice items.

That 6.2 is a great engine, if you’re not routinely towing north of 10k, the diesel is a hassle and waste of money. It’s a good engine and ford has the transmission programming figured out. You won’t escape common internet complaints like my gas engine needs revs to make power and it downshifts on hills, but it’s a very capable engine.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post

That 6.2 is a great engine, if you’re not routinely towing north of 10k, the diesel is a hassle and waste of money. It’s a good engine and ford has the transmission programming figured out. You won’t escape common internet complaints like my gas engine needs revs to make power and it downshifts on hills, but it’s a very capable engine.
    We've got a couple 3/4 tons in our fleet, diesel and gas. You can easily tow a Bobcat with the gas engine, I just wouldn't want to every day. Our F250 Powerstroke is great. Our trucks with gas engines will get you from point A to point B but you know you're pulling a couple tons.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post

I could drive a truck like that in Mexico. You could get the parents in the back seat and all the kids in the bed, maybe a few relatives too.

I'll be looking for something like that when we sell our trailer. You can buy 250 with the same WB as a 150 I think. Currently a LTZ Duramax owner. Pulls like a freight train but so far it's cost me the price of a new small tractor to maintain. I think I'm done with GM.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-22-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Nice truck!

When I used to buy trucks for the company, I used to call my Chevy and Ford fleet guys and tell them the spec I wanted. I'd also tell them that I asked the Fleet sales manager for the other brand, too. Best price wins, no negotiating. It worked out for many years.

Very nice.

Was mentioning to the wife last night how much I loved my '16 2500 Ram with the Cummins. Pulled like a train. Not, really, that I have a use for a truck now...do I...do I...geez I need to stop looking at Airstream Travel Trailer videos.

But seriously, that is a nice looking truck.

User Tag List