Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Shorty shotshells.

Site Supporter

Federal Shorty shotshells.

Anybody have experience with the Federal Shorty shotshells. They come in 8, 4 and a rifled slug. I have a Winchester 1300 Defender. I keep it fed with Flite Control OO or a 'tactical' slug for the last ditch zombie gun.

Just wondering for fun and maybe matches.

If there was a thread on it, I didn't see it. I know other short ones have a bad reputation in some guns for reliability.

Site Supporter
    I tried both brands in all the commonly available pumps including your 1300 and never had reliable function. I had a full case of the other brand and had fun experimenting but never found a shotgun that would operate reliably with them unless the guns were single shots or double barrels.

I have a double-barrel 12 gauge Stoeger coach gun. I'm inclined to try a box or two of the slugs, and see how they pattern out of it just for funsies.

Other than that - nope.

I was unaware that Federal made shorty 12 gauge rounds. I had only heard of the Aguila ones. Their buckshot load is a mix of 1B and 4B.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/
    (click on minishell tab)

You may be SOL with the Winchester. There is an adapter for the Mossberg pumps to run the minishells:

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...rod113616.aspx

I think running these minishells out of a Mossberg Shockwave with the adapter just might be a hoot, but I haven't messed with it yet.

Since my dad does have a Mossy 500, I ought to order the adapter...it's cheap enough, and a happy-place LGS about an hour away had some Aguila mini's on the shelf the last time I was there.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Federals are the same size as the Aguila so if your gun requires an adapter for Aguila it would need them for the Federal as well. I have been using the Nobel Sport 2.25 inch mini buck which doesn't require the adapter. They work fine out to 15 yards(i.e. stays on a man sized target) which is much further than any where I would be shooting in my house with my mossberg shockwave. They also recoil a hell of a lot less than my federal flight control.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I was unaware that Federal made shorty 12 gauge rounds. I had only heard of the Aguila ones. Their buckshot load is a mix of 1B and 4B.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/
    (click on minishell tab)

You may be SOL with the Winchester. There is an adapter for the Mossberg pumps to run the minishells:

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...rod113616.aspx

I think running these minishells out of a Mossberg Shockwave with the adapter just might be a hoot, but I haven't messed with it yet.

Since my dad does have a Mossy 500, I ought to order the adapter...it's cheap enough, and a happy-place LGS about an hour away had some Aguila mini's on the shelf the last time I was there.
    Last edited by rathos; 05-30-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Bumping this thread. Anyone tried shorty shells in an 870 Tac 14? Seems like that would be a nice combo.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    These would feed reliably in my 870's or any other pump that I tried.

Has anyone done any legit, ie. Doc approved, gel testing with these or any of the other mini buck or slug shells? Wondering if they're a viable HD option assuming reliable function.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Has anyone done any legit, ie. Doc approved, gel testing with these or any of the other mini buck or slug shells? Wondering if they're a viable HD option assuming reliable function.
    I'm also interested. I'm not aware of any testing done yet, but most of the published specs show similar velocities to regular low-recoil rounds.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I want to make these work in a 1301.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

User Tag List