Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American Eagle 147 grain, old vs new

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Ejected a round and it was obvious. Did some measuring, loaded a mag with 15 rounds all of the same OAL. Fired ten, rounds 11-15 measured substantially shorter. Set back under recoil and clambering. Contacted CCI / Vista Outdoor, they sent call tag, confirmed bullets did not meet specs and replaced with Lawman at no cost to me. No lot recall will be issued.
    Lots of 9mm CCI on sale in my area. Coincidence?

I think not....

This is bad news. The older load shot well in pretty much everything.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Wow.
    Thanks for the report on that. I’m eyeing various 147 gr loads for a class in the fall, and the Blazer had caught my attention. The reports on the new 147 AE load, combined with this info, have me looking squarely at Speer Lawman now.
    You cant go wrong with the lawman. It's the only 9mm I buy any more. Not only is it good stuff, but both the 124gr and 147gr are $183/case shipped from targetsportsusa with their ammo prime membership.

Site Supporter
    So is the new AE using a plated bullet in place of the jacketed bullet?

AD9FP has been my go-to for practice rounds to match with my HST 147 carry ammo for years. I've still got cases to go (presumably the old design) but will start trying Lawman 147.

And I thought it was just my shooting going downhill!

Why I like the old load better

Shot this yesterday:

Name:  IMG_1885.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  39.5 KB

The flyer is on me. 4 rounds in .5", all 5 in 1.75". The new load out of the same gun did 2.25"
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I have a box of "AE9FP 147 9mm 147 grain full metal jacket flat point" sitting in front of me. How do I tell if it is "new" vs. "old"?

I bought it specifically to investigate stories I'd heard about AE 115 being a bit sporadic, group wise, with 147 being much better in terms of average group size. But I can't put my finger on where I saw that.

Site Supporter
    The older 147 gr is in a smaller box than the newer stuff. I don't have any of the new stuff for comparison, but I just measured a box of the old ammo and it came out to 5.1 inches long.
    Last edited by T Smith; 11-13-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    Regards, Ted

American Eagle 147 grain, old vs new

Quote Originally Posted by T Smith View Post
    The older 147 gr is in a smaller box than the newer stuff. I don't have any of the new stuff for comparison, but I just measured a box of the old ammo and it came out to 5.1 inches long.
    Thanks. This is what I have, just arrived last week from Targetsportsusa.com:

Last edited by RJ; 11-13-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Dumb question: Has anyone had the opportunity to measure the diameter of the bullet meplats of both the older and newer iterations of this round as a way of differentiating between the two versions?
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 11-13-2019 at 06:45 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List