Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Eagle 147 grain, old vs new

American Eagle 147 grain, old vs new

I've now tested the older 147 grain AE load against the one with the new bullet in a variety of guns. Unfortunately for me, all of my guns shoot the older load more accurately by a substantial margin. In a VP9 and a couple of HK P30's, the older load ranged from 1.125" to 2.0" at 20 yards. The best group with the new load in the same guns was 2.5" in the VP9. It did 1.5" with the old load. One of my P30's did 1.75" with the old load, 4.0" with the new one.

Anyone know a vendor that still has case quantities of the old load in stock?
    Last edited by LtDave; 05-21-2019 at 04:08 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I've now tested the older 147 grain AE load against the one with the new bullet in a variety of guns. Unfortunately for me, all of my guns shoot the older load more accurately by a substantial margin. In a VP9 and a couple of HK P30's, the older load ranged from 1.125" to 2.0" at 20 yards. The best group with the new load in the same guns was 2.5" in the VP9. It did 1.5" with the old load. One of my P30's did 1.75" with the old load, 4.0" with the new one.

Anyone know a vendor that still has case quantities of the old load in stock?
    They are the same sku (AE9FP) so most sellers won't know what they have or the difference. The biggest tell is the packaging configuration.

The new AE9FP is disappointing. My thread here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....47-FMJ-(AE9FP)
    Last edited by ST911; 05-21-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

And I recently purchased 6 cases of the 147gr. AE.

Could not tell from the linked thread, but it appears the meplat is wider on the new bullet loading vs. the old truncated cone. This may explain the accuracy difference alone, I would not say it is to much of a loss though in reality... still plenty accurate for me anyways.

Blazer Brass just introduced a 147 grain load- curious how that compares to the new AE load.

I really liked the aluminum cased Blazer 147 grain - except in my tuned Berettas which do not like the primer. Good load in my Glocks though.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 05-22-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Blazer Brass just introduced a 147 grain load- curious how that compares to the new AE load
    I ordered a case. Experienced severe bullet setback. Sent 800 back to CCI for evaluation. Did not pass the pull / setback test. Promptly replaced with Lawman 147
    Taking a break from social media.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I ordered a case. Experienced severe bullet setback. Sent 800 back to CCI for evaluation. Did not pass the pull / setback test. Promptly replaced with Lawman 147
    How did you notice the setback?

I have been pretty satisfied with the Blazer Brass in various weights I have tried and don’t see much reason to spend more for Lawman or AE.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    How did you notice the setback?
    Ejected a round and it was obvious. Did some measuring, loaded a mag with 15 rounds all of the same OAL. Fired ten, rounds 11-15 measured substantially shorter. Set back under recoil and clambering. Contacted CCI / Vista Outdoor, they sent call tag, confirmed bullets did not meet specs and replaced with Lawman at no cost to me. No lot recall will be issued.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Ejected a round and it was obvious. Did some measuring, loaded a mag with 15 rounds all of the same OAL. Fired ten, rounds 11-15 measured substantially shorter. Set back under recoil and clambering. Contacted CCI / Vista Outdoor, they sent call tag, confirmed bullets did not meet specs and replaced with Lawman at no cost to me. No lot recall will be issued.
    Wow.
    Thanks for the report on that. I’m eyeing various 147 gr loads for a class in the fall, and the Blazer had caught my attention. The reports on the new 147 AE load, combined with this info, have me looking squarely at Speer Lawman now.

Hammertime
    Whoa. Setback even under recoil?! No bueno.

User Tag List