Thread: Drones as nonlethals. It's shocking!

Site Supporter

Drones as nonlethals. It's shocking!

https://www.c4isrnet.com/unmanned/20...curity-forces/

This is something new. BTW, saw the trailer for the movie Angel Has Fallen (from the Olympus, London Has Fallen crew) and it has POTUS under attack by waves of drones.

Samuel Bendett, an adviser at the Center for Naval Analyses. “We do know that Russian National Guard, for example, is interested in a range of technologies for crowd control and internal security — this newly established security agency has also been shopping for drones lately.”
    Someone should inform Mr. Bendett that the Russian National Guard is not a newly established security agency. It is just operating under a new name, it is a national police/military/paramilitary unit that operates precisely as the military/paramilitary units of its predecessors the:

Cheka
    OGPU
    NKVD
    MVD
    KGB
    FSB

Same shit, different day.

Swarm tactics are.....interesting...be interesting to intergrete micro swarms into rifle company operations.

Personally I kinda like the switchblade style at the squad/platoon level supported by my ravens and puma at the company. I had so many notional indirect fire kills during my last BN field exercise due to UAS employment. If I could give a camera equipped flying 60 mm mortar round to my squad leaders I would be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Someone should inform Mr. Bendett that the Russian National Guard is not a newly established security agency. It is just operating under a new name, it is a national police/military/paramilitary unit that operates precisely as the military/paramilitary units of its predecessors the:

Cheka
    OGPU
    NKVD
    MVD
    KGB
    FSB

Same shit, different day.
    Eh, kinda sort, but not quite. The author is correct is calling them a newly established security agency.....there's nothing incorrect or misleading about that statement.

As opposed to being re-branded it's more of a reorganization akin to the creation of DHS; the big difference (and purpose) being that the National Guard is now under the direct control of Putin, instead of a minister (as the rest of the MVD still is, with the ministry now being focused on civil policing instead of civil policing AND gendarmie functions).

The only part of the National Guard that you could really say is a rebranding is the Internal Troops. There's functions/units in the National Guard that were not previously in the Internal Troops, though, which along with the power grab portion is why you can't really just say it's a name change and nothing more. The FSB and its mission is totally separate as well, and is not succeeded or replaced by the National Guard.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-21-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Here's an overview about how the creation of the National Guard has been causing kerfuffles: https://worldview.stratfor.com/artic...are-power-grab

Like Pakistan, Russia is an interesting country in terms of competing power struggles within the government. Putin is a very powerful man, but he doesn't wield absolute power within the country, and the creation of the National Guard has definitely been a game changer.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Swarm tactics are.....interesting...be interesting to intergrete micro swarms into rifle company operations.

Personally I kinda like the switchblade style at the squad/platoon level supported by my ravens and puma at the company. I had so many notional indirect fire kills during my last BN field exercise due to UAS employment. If I could give a camera equipped flying 60 mm mortar round to my squad leaders I would be very happy.
    UAS are going to be a 2 way street going forward.

This is couple years old but Dr Karber has interesting things to say about the Russian employment of UAS in Ukraine. His reports remind me of the reports of military observers in the Russo-Japanese war...

PS Karber was one of your people before going off to be an egghead.

User Tag List