Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FN unveils the 6.5CM Mk48

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The 260 Remington was never developed with any military use in mind.
    True. It was designed to be housed in a full-stocked, 20"-barreled bolt gun. Any other use is blasphemous.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I don't understand the rationale for 6.5 CM in a machine gun. It can't be accuracy/precision or extension of range. I would think the 7.62 would be more robust against barriers. Of course it is marketed towards special forces, so it probably mission specific.
    Flatter shooting, longer range and higher sectional density PLUS 25% less perceived recoil and much greater hit probability than 7.62 NATO.

The only drawback will be barrel life compared to 7.62 NATO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Surprised they went with 6.5 CM and not 260?

I thought the purpose of the 260 was better feeding in machine guns?
    The BULLET sits deeper into the case on .260 Rem which can cause accuracy issues as the power would be touching the projectile on longer cartridges.

Or so I’ve read.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    No doubt.

Perhaps I mis-remember but I seem to recall seeing somewhere in a 260 vs 6.5 CM discussion that the 260 was "friendlier" to automatic fire. Perhaps I got it backwards.
    Might be that .260 Remington is a .308 based round so it could (would?) be an easier conversion from one to the other vs. the 6.5CM being based off of the .30TC. Just a guess on my part, I've been out of the machine gun & rifle building game for a minute.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    Might be that .260 Remington is a .308 based round so it could (would?) be an easier conversion from one to the other vs. the 6.5CM being based off of the .30TC. Just a guess on my part, I've been out of the machine gun & rifle building game for a minute.
    From what I remember of this soldier systems article, the decision to go with the creedmoor was somewhat arbitrary as the 2 cartridges performance in SOCOM testing was really close. It seems they went with what made more sense from an industry support perspective.

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/23...adopts-6-5-cm/
    Last edited by EMC; 05-23-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Correct--both had advantages.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    From what I remember of this soldier systems article, the decision to go with the creedmoor was somewhat arbitrary as the 2 cartridges performance in SOCOM testing was really close. It seems they went with what made more sense from an industry support perspective.

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/23...adopts-6-5-cm/
    The 6.5 C has a bit lower velocity due to slightly smaller case capacity (shorter case), but allows the use of a bit longer/heavier bullets since both have the same OAL. It seems the possibility of using longer VLD bullets in the future tipped the scales in favor of the 6.5 C.

Yes, if mag length is a limitation, 6.5CM is the way to go. Personally I prefer .260 in a bolt gun. More capacity, and feeds better. I get 2850fps with a 142gr bullet from a 24” barrel.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    The BULLET sits deeper into the case on .260 Rem which can cause accuracy issues as the power would be touching the projectile on longer cartridges.

Or so I’ve read.

Not so. Compressed charges, by themselves, are not the cause of any inaccuracy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Not so. Compressed charges, by themselves, are not the cause of any inaccuracy.
    My understanding is that a full case of powder is a good thing, since the powder can't re-position itself which can cause erratic ignition.

User Tag List