Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FN unveils the 6.5CM Mk48

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Commonality with who?
    https://www.knightarmco.com/14719/sh...it-pr-22-m-lok
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The 260 Remington was never developed with any military use in mind. I would think that FN engineers know better than all of us what feeds well through their gun and what not.
    Engineers usually get little say in what gets implemented; their say is how it gets implemented. Most projects start with a sales guy or customer asking for a product, not engineering suggesting something that would be a good product. There are some exceptions, but engineering gets feature and requirement inputs from sales. Then engineering tries to figure out how the latest boondoggle will be supported.

I think this falls more along the lines of, we can do it, so we did and we are awesome.

They are getting media exposure and generating some noise by doing a barrel swap and changing parts on a platform. It's smart business.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Is the Army issuing those? I would not be surprised, if your outfit is elite enough, you can apparently get all sorts of non-GI stuff.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Surprised they went with 6.5 CM and not 260?

I thought the purpose of the 260 was better feeding in machine guns?
    After testing both 260 and 6.5 SOCOM adopted 6.5 for precision use.

The better feeding of the 260 was in AR-10. Belt fed mg are normally straight line feed.

Is the Army issuing those? I would not be surprised, if your outfit is elite enough, you can apparently get all sorts of non-GI stuff.
    Some military units are, yes.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I shoot a lot of 6.5 Creedmoor these days - in a bolt action rifle, not belt fed.

1) 6.5 Creedmoor with 140+ projectiles does have better usable range than 7.62x51 with 168/175 projectiles. Depending on barrel length, etc. - my experience is about 200 yards "extra" with 6.5 CM over my 308.

2) I have not shot out a barrel yet. 6.5 CM will be less than 308 barrel life but I do not think it is a "barrel eater".

3) 6.5 CM is assumed to handle 140+ projectiles than 260 Remington - an advantage of 6.5 CM is launching the heavier, high BC projectiles due to case design - the heavier projectiles intrude into the 260 case (my observations with my 260 and 6.5 CM).

Site Supporter
    In my experience being adjacent to Special units in the field - they are indeed Special and have access to Special weapons in/out of normal inventory.

SOCOM did adopt 6.5 Creed.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...und-next-year/

Army is going to replace the M249 and the M4.

https://www.military.com/kitup/2019/...lacements.html

So it stands to reason there will be new chamberings in those weapons that want to compete for selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    No doubt.

Perhaps I mis-remember but I seem to recall seeing somewhere in a 260 vs 6.5 CM discussion that the 260 was "friendlier" to automatic fire. Perhaps I got it backwards.
    I want to say this was discussed in one of Kyle Lamb's older podcasts but I don't remember which episode.

User Tag List